Board index Photography Technical Questions downloading raw pictures

Technical Questions

downloading raw pictures

Discuss technical aspects of photography
labourgeoise

downloading raw pictures

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:58 pm

I am using a Rebel and selecting raw mode to take my pictures. When I download the pictures are showing as Jpeg. Should they not show as raw. I am not using the raw + jpeg mode.

lmwalker

Re: downloading raw pictures

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:28 am

I believe that if you shoot in any of the auto modes (sport, portrait, landscape, etc.) Canon EOS cameras only record jpegs. You have to shoot in one of the manual or semi-manual modes (program, aperture priority, shutter priority, etc.) to record raw format.
Last edited by lmwalker on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmwalker

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:56 am

Yep, I just did a test and selecting any of the auto modes only produces JPEGS on my 30D.
Last edited by lmwalker on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougj

Post Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:09 am

The 10D works as Mike has described. There should be a function availability table in the manual that defines the function and parameter/mode matrix for the camera.

labourgeoise

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:17 am

Thank you for your help. I double checked my pictures and they were taken in P mode. I'm thinking the problem is with my preferences in the program ( EOS utility that came with the camera). Any ideas?

dougj

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:05 pm

The EOS Utility program will not convert RAW files to JPG during a download, it doesn't have a RAW conversion capability at all. Is this a new problem? Have you made any changes to the camera or the PC your using for the download (new/different PC, operating system, etc.)?

labourgeoise

Problem solved

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:40 pm

I've solved the mystery. This is actually quite embarrassing.... I never did have the camera set to raw. If you own a rebel you could see that
on the screen the raw is next to one of he other settings. I thought this was a description of the setting when it was actually a selectable field, so I had never selected raw in the first place. A case of not paying attention I guess. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.

dougj

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

It's good you figured it out, it's easy to select an option that you don't want.

Board index Photography Technical Questions downloading raw pictures