Board index Photography Technical Questions Best indoor sports lens?

Technical Questions

Best indoor sports lens?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
zenki_s14

Best indoor sports lens?

Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:16 am

I'm shooting with a Canon 50D, along with the 28-135mm kit lens. I recently took pictures at an indoor sports tournament. Not satisfied with the way the pictures turned out. Wanted to know your guy's preference in terms of which lens is best suited for indoor sports shots. Was thinking of getting the Canon 135mm 2/f USM lens. Anyone have any experience with those lens?

bclaypole

Re: Best indoor sports lens?

Post Tue May 05, 2009 12:55 pm

70-200mm 2.8L (bite the bullet and buy the lens you'll end up getting in the future - oh, and the IS is worth the extra $$)

prinothcat

Post Tue May 05, 2009 1:28 pm

bclaypole wrote:70-200mm 2.8L (bite the bullet and buy the lens you'll end up getting in the future - oh, and the IS is worth the extra $$)

Seconded. You will get the most benefit from this focal range, and you'll never question the speed. IS is almost a requirement since indoor lighting is usually quite poor. 135mm just isn't long enough, I've tried it it just dosen't work.

zenki_s14

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:25 am

I've heard mixed opinions about the IS feature, some say it's good for you, others say it's bad for you. Was planning on getting the 70-200mm 4/f, but I am tempted on getting the 2.8/f model.

prinothcat

Post Wed May 06, 2009 2:08 pm

zenki_s14 wrote:I've heard mixed opinions about the IS feature, some say it's good for you, others say it's bad for you. Was planning on getting the 70-200mm 4/f, but I am tempted on getting the 2.8/f model.

Drop the cash now, you will regret not having those 2 stops. Remember that most AF systems don't function as well as they get towards f5.6, in low light or poor contrast lighting. All these things will come in to play shooting indoor sports. Those lights usually aren't as bright as one expects. F4.0 is fine for outdoor work but not so hot indoors. IS depends on you I guess, my 80-200 nikkor is old school non VR (same thing as IS) and I don't mss it, but I also don't shoot much low light with it. You ought to remember too that IS only helps with shaky support, not by stopping action. So true you can still shoot slower shutter speed and get results, but your shutter speed still has to stop subject motion. So maybe in your case the non IS and a good monopod is a better solution. You may find the monopod is a required investment anyway.
Chris

suephoto

Post Sat May 09, 2009 4:08 am

same here - my Canon 70-200 2.8 is my lense of choice for indoor and outdoor sports. I took photos at a roller derby and I was able to take some good pics. You can see the pictures on my pbase. pbase.com/suephoto

seeburt

Post Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 pm

You asked for the "Best indoor sports lens"...focal length depends on your vantage point and budget. If I'm shooting basketball and only covering a 1/2 court, the 70-200 2.8 is enough, but if I'm covering the far court too, you'll need a 300 or 400. If I'm covering indoor soccer, I use the 70-200 and 300. The only consistant thing is that all my indoor glass has an f-stop at a minimum of 2.8. If I could afford faster I would! Like was said earlier, you will regret not spending the extra money. If you really want to see the difference, go rent them and compare them. That being said the 70-200 2.8 is great place to start.

I would pick up a used lens in a second from a reputible source (including private party).

~cb~

strogoff

Post Sat May 16, 2009 6:56 pm

zenki_s14 wrote:I'm shooting with a Canon 50D, along with the 28-135mm kit lens. I recently took pictures at an indoor sports tournament. Not satisfied with the way the pictures turned out. Wanted to know your guy's preference in terms of which lens is best suited for indoor sports shots. Was thinking of getting the Canon 135mm 2/f USM lens. Anyone have any experience with those lens?

That lens is wonderful. Using it you can discover that there is life beyond using zooms for sport. With the obvious limitations, of course, there will be scenes too close or too far. Or I'd rather say these scenes provide you with nice opportunities but not of the same bracket.
Other considerations:
1. Good AF result seems to need more time as light is less in general.
2. Narrow DOF can be an asset or a liability - this depends on the picture entirely. At F 2,0 you never get a photo all sharp except of properly aligned flat somethings.
3. There is an absolute limit. ISO speed - acceptable noise. Aperture: F 2,0. Shutter speed: 1/100 (with a calm attitude, average health, average sleep, average breakfast, etc).
Warning! Extreme danger of falling in love with that lens!!!

henryt

Post Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 am

Im really happy with the 70-200 2.8 sigma. I f you are getting one, go with tamron.

imagenation

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:34 pm

I have the 135mm f2 and swaer by it for any indoor shooting. It has proved to be a superb lens for me.

Garry

http://www.birdphotograph.com

marypar4

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:42 pm

70-200 2.8 IS if you can afford it..otherwise go a Hyundia..if you get my drift!

Board index Photography Technical Questions Best indoor sports lens?