Board index Photography Technical Questions Maximize image sharpness? Mirror up or Timer?

Technical Questions

Maximize image sharpness? Mirror up or Timer?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
photoascoli

Maximize image sharpness? Mirror up or Timer?

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:38 pm

I take landscape pictures with Nikon D300, using a tripod.

In order to maximize image sharpness what is a better practice; to use the Mirror Up option or just to use the built in timer with hands free shutter release?

can you really see any difference with the mirror up option?

Thanks

Dov

prinothcat

Re: Maximize image sharpness? Mirror up or Timer?

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:46 am

yes, I can see a difference. I generally use the delayed release set off of one of the menus, as opposed to the two press option controlled by the top dial.

ernst

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:09 pm

For critical work I use both options: mirror lock-up and 2 second delay, triggered by remote. You'll see the difference. (remember to switch off image stabilization and maybe use manual focus)

photoascoli

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:21 pm

ernst wrote:For critical work I use both options: mirror lock-up and 2 second delay, triggered by remote. You'll see the difference. (remember to switch off image stabilization and maybe use manual focus)

>>> Why do you have to switch off the image stabilizer?

Thanks

Dov

parpho

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:33 pm

photoascoli wrote:
ernst wrote:For critical work I use both options: mirror lock-up and 2 second delay, triggered by remote. You'll see the difference. (remember to switch off image stabilization and maybe use manual focus)

>>> Why do you have to switch off the image stabilizer?

Thanks

Dov

Because the IS presumes your camera is moving and will go crazy trying to fix a situation that does not exist resulting in an image that is not sharp. You may probably find a more detailed answer in your owner's manual.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Maximize image sharpness? Mirror up or Timer?