Board index Photography Technical Questions Third Party Lenses for D90

Technical Questions

Third Party Lenses for D90

Discuss technical aspects of photography
tamnordberg

Third Party Lenses for D90

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:31 am

Hi..I just got a D90 and now my father-in-law is giving me his old lenses from his Chinon body. I have no clue whether they would fit my D90 or if I can even use an adapter for them. I did some research but so far I'm getting nowhere.

These are his old lenses:

Vivitar VMC 28mm f/2.8 Auto
Vivitar VMC 50mm f/1.8 Auto
Vivitar VMC 200mm f/4.0 Auto
TOKINA SZ-X 60-300mm f/4-5.6
Teleconverter: Vivitar MC 2x -22.

They might not be the best lenses out there but I'm just really glad to be getting them :D ..hope someone could help me out.

Thanks!

ecopix

Re: Third Party Lenses for D90

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:42 am

Your Chinon mount lenses are probably Pentax K system. The Nikon has a deeper body. If you were to find or rig an adapter, the Chinon's lenses would only be useful close up. They would not focus to infinity.

Your options would be:
Use them for close ups. The zoom and the 50mm might be useful.
Buy a pentax digital body. The lenses would fit if they are K-mount, but would be manual focus, and meter in aperture priority or manual modes only.
Buy a Canon digital body and adapter.
Trade them in or sell on ebay to finance a dedicated lens.
Older Chinons were screw mount. They same goes, except that the Pentax digital body would also need a PS adapter.
As all are old third party lenses, and the 3rd party makers have lifted their game a lot in recent years, I think trading on even a third party dedicated lens is the way to go.
Cheers,
Wayne Lawler
http://ecopix.net

Board index Photography Technical Questions Third Party Lenses for D90