Board index Photography Technical Questions Looking into purchasing a Nikon D50. Got some questions.

Technical Questions

Looking into purchasing a Nikon D50. Got some questions.

Discuss technical aspects of photography
solomonov

Looking into purchasing a Nikon D50. Got some questions.

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 am

*Sorry if it's not the right place.

I was always fascinated by photography. i always wanted to become one and i decided to take some courses in addition to my full time program in college.

I ran into someone who wants to sell me a Nikon D50 for $350.
He bought the camera (body) with a separate lens for about $800.
He told me that this is the original D50 and that there is another kind or something like that which i didnt really get...
He also might add a tripod and a 2 GB memory card.

I want to know whats the same level camera that canon has to offer, on the same level with the D50.
Also i would like to know which one of those is better and why.
Many people don't like Nikons for some odd reason.

Im lost... :?

sthuman

Re: Looking into purchasing a Nikon D50. Got some questions.

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:18 am

The choice of Nikon vs Canon is a lot like Mac vs Windows. They both get the job done. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I shoot Nikon and use a Mac.

The D50 is a very good camera. I think it may be one of Nikon's best entry level cameras for shooting jpg. It produces nice rich colors. As I said, I shoot Nikon, and I don't know a lot about Canon so I can't offer an equivalent Canon.

The price seems a bit high for a used D50. I guess it depends on how many shutter clicks it has. Check around for pricing. For that amount you can almost get a brand new D5000. Is he selling it with a lens? SD cards are dirt cheap. Amazon has one for less than $4. Tripods can be expensive or cheap. Hard to say if that ads value to the deal or not.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Looking into purchasing a Nikon D50. Got some questions.