Board index Photography Technical Questions setting and mode for shooting indoor

Technical Questions

setting and mode for shooting indoor

Discuss technical aspects of photography
cm_mashuga

setting and mode for shooting indoor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 am

Hi, currently i'm using canon 500d. Having some problem shooting indoor picture where light is very low. Can anybody advice me on this. Btw i just pick up photography as my hobby : )

hiero

Re: setting and mode for shooting indoor

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 pm

1) If your subject is static use a tripod
2) If the subject moves use a flash
3) If you do not want to use a flash try the highest ISO that still gives acceptable results (probably 1600), you can get rid of some noise that may still be theren afterwards using photo-editing software
4) Use a wide aperture: 4.0, 2.8 or wider if you have lenses that make that possible, but beware that the depth of field will become very shallow
5) Use the longest shutter time possible, depending on the stability of the subject (e.g. for people 1/60). If youre lens is stabilised you can go up to 1/15 or even 1/8, but only with still subjects.

For a portrait I suggest iso 1600 and aperture 2.8, for a small group iso 1600 and aperture 4.0 or 5.6. If you use the AV (aperture priority) setting, after setting the ISO, just turn the wheel to see which shutter time the camera selects for a certain aperture. For people shots, if your widest aperture results in a shutter time longer than 1/30 I'd choose to further crack up the ISO or preferably then, use a flash.

Hope this helps. If it is an important shot, do some tests in advance...

Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

sthuman

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:21 am

I'll add, if you have a flash (besides a built in flash) where the head can swivel, turn it fully straight up and bounce the flash off the ceiling. You'll get much better flash results indoors that way.

cm_mashuga

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 am

thank u so much for the reply..i'll keep that in mind

Board index Photography Technical Questions setting and mode for shooting indoor