Board index Photography Technical Questions First Time Sensor Cleaning. Scary!

Technical Questions

First Time Sensor Cleaning. Scary!

Discuss technical aspects of photography
mnoble

First Time Sensor Cleaning. Scary!

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:00 pm

My Nikon D700 has been picking up dirt on the full frame sensor to the point that I felt I needed do do something about it. I am a little disappointed that the internal sensor cleaning action in the camera wasn't keeping this to a minimum. The sensor cleaning on my Olympus E3 was much better.

Before I tried cleaning the sensor I read a great deal about it. It is definitely a scary undertaking. Nikon recommends professional cleaning (theirs, of course) and if you screw it up, you void the warrantee. So I bought some of the recommended gear from Visible Dust ($200 worth) and awaited its arrival from B&H.

I received it on Wednesday. I got the Arctic Butterfly SD800 Pro kit, swabs for full frame sensor, and one of the recommended cleaning solutions. I think that there are three. The Arctic Butterfly is a brush that you use to get non-sticking dust off the sensor. The kit has brushes and adapters for each kind of sensor and an angled brush to clean the mirror and the prism finder. It does not come with the required AAA batteries (2), though. Pretty cheap I thought. There is more that you can buy. Cleaners for more persistent dirt, swabs for smaller sensors, and a LED sensor loupe to identify the location of the little nasties on your sensor. I just didn't want to pay over $300 for everything.

The gear comes with, shall we say, minimal instructions. In other words, none. There are four brushes that come with the Arctic Butterfly. Two are easily identifiable, but the other two are very similar and there is no way to ID them. One is a "thicker" brush for the ASC sensors and the fourth is the brush for the full frame sensor. I guessed.

There is also very meager instructions on how to put the cleaner on the pads and how to swipe the pad on the sensor. It says to put two - three drops on the pad, but where. On the edge? On the face of one side? No explanation. So I did what I was told and tried to clean the sensor. (BTW, I used the Arctic Butterfly first but the tenacious spots remained.) I put the camera on a tripod so I could have both hands free and so that the camera would not be moving around. I followed the instructions from Visible Dust and from what I had seen on line. I removed the lens, locked open the shutter and took a swipe at the sensor. I then closed the shutter, replaced the lens and took a picture of a blank wall at about f16 so I could see any spots. When I opened the image in Lightroom, I was horrified to see what looked liked horizontal craters in the image. I assumed that I had scratched the sensor with my first attempt. Fear gripped me. I could see paying for a whole new camera.

I calmed down a bit and resolved to do the procedure again. After all, if I had done damage I would be replacing the sensor or the camera anyway. So I tried again. The smears (gouges) were still there. Almost. I noticed that some of the earlier marks were gone. So, I figured (prayed) that it was something to do with my technique. So I kept at it. I started putting the cleaning solution on the edge of the swab and I switched from my right hand to my left swiping right to left this time which was more natural for me. I also became a bit more firm with the swipe. After a couple more tries the marks were all gone. (Insert big sigh of relief here.)

So I need to be more firm with the swipe and make sure the edge of the swab was coated and came in contact with the sensor. It is difficult to see what you are doing inside the camera. It's really all by feel. I still have to get smaller swabs for my D300S and, because there seems to be one persistent spot left on the sensor, a cleaner geared to more persistent dirt.

All in all, this was not a comfortable activity. But, with practice, I feel that I can do what needs to be done.

zee71

Re: First Time Sensor Cleaning. Scary!

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 am

hen I clean my senor on the D200 for the first time I had the same issues. I've been using Visible Dust to clean my senors on camera bodies. I've even watch a few youtube video's regarding sensor cleaning. With a little more practice cleaning your sensor you'll be a pro. Bottom line doing it yourself you'll save some money over time, and you won't be without a camera (just in case it has to get sent out for cleaning).

sthuman

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:03 am

I've swabbed my D200 probably 50 times at least. It sounds like you didn't use enough solution to get the gunk off and smeared it instead. I have found that putting a lot more than a couple drops on the swab works better (5 or 6 anyway). The only precaution is not to put so much it's going to drip/ooze off and into the sensor. But getting it good and wet (the swab) helps cut the gunk better. Of course always blow any loose particles off first and if you think you may have dust particles make sure the first swab pass is very light so you don't drag a particle across the glass and scratch it. I almost always swab twice at least. Once very lightly, with quite a bit of solution and a second time working it harder (ie scrubbing). Then a good blow to make sure the solution all dries quickly in the hope it doesn't leave any residue. If it does leave a residue it's because there's still gunk in the solution from cleaning. In that case use a new swab with only a couple drops, enough to make it wet enough to not be scratchy.

amoxtli

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 pm

I can't deal with this stuff. I take my D300 to a local place twice a year and they clean the camera inside and out completely for $85. If anything happens to the sensor they pay.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

sthuman

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 am

I wish that was an option for me. All the local places closed! Too much price competition from the online places. So now my choices are clean it myself (And it needs it more than twice a year because I live where there is a lot of dust and often go to the coast which is worst of all), take it to San Francisco, or send it to Nikon. I phoned Nikon after I had it (D200) about a year and wanted to know what I needed to do to get it cleaned ect. The guy almost laughed at me. He said unless it's broke no need to send it to them. I thought that was a poor response. I would be happy to pay them to clean and fine tune it once a year.

Board index Photography Technical Questions First Time Sensor Cleaning. Scary!