Board index Photography Technical Questions Flash photography for idiots

Technical Questions

Flash photography for idiots

Discuss technical aspects of photography
azlin

Flash photography for idiots

Post Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi all

Am ashamed to admit that after years of photography, I am finally going to learn how to use the flash. Getting my Speedlite 580 soon to go with my Canon 5DM2.
The problem is, I have no idea where to start. I've always relied on natural light, and flash photography is .... downright intimidating!
If you know of any useful tips or links, pls let me know. I'm looking at indoor events as a starting point.

Thanks!
Azlin
www.pbase.com/azlin

ralf

Re: Flash photography for idiots

Post Tue May 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Check out the Strobist blog, especially the Lighting 101 and Lighting 102 sections:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/

prinothcat

Post Wed May 12, 2010 12:35 am

Have a look at strobist for sure. Also read up on the use of "fill flash" and how to optimize it with out that "flash bulb" look. Fortunately, modern (D)SLR's with evaluative metering are very good at doing a lot of basic fill flash for you. Your camera manual is also a good start to learn the basic functions. Fine tuning your technique will take a bit of learning.

azlin

Post Fri May 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks both, will do.
Chris, my camera does not come with a built in flash. But admittedly, I never bothered to use the built in flash of my previous camera!

prinothcat

Post Fri May 14, 2010 10:18 pm

azlin wrote:Thanks both, will do.
Chris, my camera does not come with a built in flash. But admittedly, I never bothered to use the built in flash of my previous camera!

To clarify I'm not referring to flash hardware in my post. I'm referring to the cameras metering firmware which should be very capable for basic flash photography. So check out he relevant sections of the manual, and make sure when you buy your flash it's compatible with the camera and its capabilities.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Flash photography for idiots