Board index Photography Technical Questions cannon 5D - what lens?

Technical Questions

cannon 5D - what lens?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
cat_leya

cannon 5D - what lens?

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm considering upgrading from a 40D to the 5D but have heard : "Soft images straight out of the camera -- requires a good lens for best results; Some detail smudging from noise reduction, even at low ISOs" Is anyone using it with the lens generally sold with it (the EF 24-105L)? Are you getting sharp detail with this lens? If I need to buy a high end lens to receive the benefit of this body it may just bump me out of my price range. Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

xtranch

Re: cannon 5D - what lens?

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:18 pm

I have several but my favorite is the 17-40l. I do mostly landscapes. you also cant beat the inexpensive 50mm 1.4, both canon lenses

billinchapelhill

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:10 pm

Reverse the process. Buy the lens first and then later the body. The Canon 70-200 f4 or the 17-40 are both excellent quality and lowest prices for L glass zooms. Your pro quality processed bird images would go quite well with the 70-200.

jcassatt

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 pm

I don't knos what you mean by "soft images straight out of the camera". The one thing I have niticed about my 5D was that the images required aless sharpening than the 300D it replaced.

I have used any number of lenses with the 5D. For portraits I use the 24-105--excellent lens. the 70-200 series wirks beautifully. Until I bought the Canon 24-105, I got good mileage out of the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.

The lens I really like to use is the 24 mm f3.5L TS_E.

cat_leya wrote:I'm considering upgrading from a 40D to the 5D but have heard : "Soft images straight out of the camera -- requires a good lens for best results; Some detail smudging from noise reduction, even at low ISOs" Is anyone using it with the lens generally sold with it (the EF 24-105L)? Are you getting sharp detail with this lens? If I need to buy a high end lens to receive the benefit of this body it may just bump me out of my price range. Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Board index Photography Technical Questions cannon 5D - what lens?