Board index Photography Technical Questions My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Technical Questions

My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Discuss technical aspects of photography
benjikan

My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Everyone I know in the business have their preferences regarding focal lengths for different applications. I tend to work quite a bit shorter than most when it comes to working in closed quarters in a studio environment. I specify this for a reason. Studio work is a fixed space that you set up lights in and know what those dimensions are for the whole day of the shoot. Unlike interior location shoots where you often have to change settings and adapt your focal lengths to the circumstances.

It is for this reason, that I often find myself using a wide angle zoom in non studio environments. My focal length of choice in 75% of my studio shoots is around 60-75mm i.e. 40-50mm in the 1.5 ratio APS-C sensor cameras. But I tend to shoot closer to the former. I have read on several forums that the majority of shooters tend to shoot quite a bit longer i.e. 90-120mm i.e. 60-80mm 1.5 ration APS-C sensor cameras. I find that getting in closer to the model, allows you to communicate on a different level which in my opinion is more immediate. I am also not that fond of (at least at this juncture in time) that compressed long focal length look. All of the major brands have focal lengths that fill this criteria.

I have on occasion shot shorter than the above at around 30mm (45mm) APS-C, with very pleasing results, but for this focal length I need to work in studio's with very high ceilings, as I more often than not am sitting or lying on the floor when shooting. I also need the much larger seamless when using this wider focal length or just work off of a bare studio cyclo wall.

Shooting at these shorter focal lengths most certainly have a distinctively modern edgy look about them (at least for now)...So don't be afraid to experiment with shorter than the recommended norm for fashion work. It may give you a bit of the edge to stand out from the rest of the very highly populated crowd.

Would love to get your feedback...

exposed

Re: My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:51 pm

I think it depends on the backdrop and particulary the backdrop dimensions. I find to often I close in, zoom in, and fail to notice (until I get into CS3) that I did not have a fully expansive backdrop to frame my subject cleanly. Is use Nikon with Fx sensor with a choice of 24-70 or 70-200mm optics. I therefore mount the 70-200mm and mount the 24-70mm on a D300 Dx sensor to give me a focal length overlap 35 to 135mm and 70-200mm. The D300 always lets me down however because the D300 firmware does not permit shutter and aperture locking, as does the D700.

moffetb

Re: My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:17 pm

exposed wrote: The D300 always lets me down however because the D300 firmware does not permit shutter and aperture locking, as does the D700.

Manual mode? Or are you thinking of something else?

Board index Photography Technical Questions My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion