Board index Photography Technical Questions Light streaks in photo... help please??

Technical Questions

Light streaks in photo... help please??

Discuss technical aspects of photography
rwallace

Light streaks in photo... help please??

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Seeking help! I'm trying to explain the light streaks on this photo. I haven't had lens flare like this or in these conditions before. I'd like your opinion about what it is (is it lens flare?) and what caused it. The shot is with a EOS 5D Mark ii with a Canon EF 24-105mm 4.0 L IS USM set at f11 1/80 ISO 100. I used an off camera 580 EX II behind and right of shot with a white plastic defuser. There was tungsten light in the room - one bulb about 30 feet above the subject to the left and another behind and camera right also about 30 feet above. Please give me your opinion, just looking for your best guess. Thanks in advance!

bclaypole

Re: Light streaks in photo... help please??

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Was a lens hood used? Definitely looks like the lens picked up the diffuser. Flare could be just amplified due to underexposure of shot??

rwallace

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:21 pm

the consensus is it's just a reflection off a belt buckle or something. Thanks for your input. :)

posiej

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 pm

One more thing to consider, if you are using a uv filter for lens protection that might be your culprit. This happens to me when taking night shots, once I remove the filter I have also removed the problem. It doesn't happen every time just when the light hits a certain way.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Light streaks in photo... help please??