Board index Photography Technical Questions Raw Image Program

Technical Questions

Raw Image Program

Discuss technical aspects of photography
vneilknobbe

Re: Raw Image Program

Post Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:31 am

dw_thomas wrote:
i don't mean to sound stupid ( I am still in major learning stage and it goes slowly) But, I don't understand alot about "crop frame" and the 1.6x crop factor,

DaveT

My feeble attempt at describing the crop factor would be to thing of it as a small magnifier. Multiply the focal length of you lens by 1.6 to get the length you will be working with.

I really miss my 50D and its crop sensor. Way better for filling the frame with the moon than my 5D.

irislynx

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:44 am

Dave, TY for the info on the crop factor, I understand it a little bit better now, But, Not quite there all the way yet, But, Hopefully will get there eventually!
I think you are pretty lucky to have been able to start at photography so young in life! Working with the older 35mm's must have given you quite an advancement of expeience! I think it's really special that you still have your Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 box camera and your Argus C-3!! You have some Great Galleries and tons of equipment from along the way! .. Thank you for all the info and advice, I will keep shooting ( Will never give it up) And " I Will" learn along the way, Maybe slowly, But, I Will learn! :)

irislynx

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:26 am

vneilknobbe, I would be taking the majority of portraits inside as I have a small room set up with backdrops and flash'es, I do allready have an 18-200mm lens and a 300mm lens for my Nikon,( I also have a Nikon 50mm lens) I mostly use the 18-200 for portraits, The 300 is too hard for the space that I have. I have seen images of the 70-200 for portraits zoomed in and cropped that look really good, And thought that I could take portraits inside and take other images outside that I would have a little length with to get more area in ( Hope I'm writing this right so it makes sense) But, Then again, I believe the 24-70 would be a lot more suitable for inside portraits with the space that I have, And I would just use the Nikon and lenses for any distance photos outside I have also just ordered a Canon EF 50 mm F/1.8 II Lens, I want to see how that will work out for portraits on the canon. ( Also wanted to ask, .... I just read somewhere recently that I would need an adpter to attach the Canon EF 50 mm F/1.8 II Lens to my 40D, But, I'm pretty positive that I don't need to get an adapter, It should just go right on the camera, Have you ever heard about needing an adapter in this regard??) .... I love to shoot all different kinds of images, I shoot a lot of " Nature, Birds , Flowers", But, Would really like to do portraiture now. I have done some portraiture with my Nikon, And I tend to find that Nikon's have better quality/ Clarity of image, But, Canon camera's have better Saturation ( Just my own personal opinion) So I want to get a good lense for the canon for potraits .. I think my choice would be the 24-70. Ty you for replying, It was appreciated!

dw_thomas

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Virtually all Canon "EF" lenses will fit the 40D. The trouble is the other way -- the Canon "EF-S" lenses which work with the 40D and other "crop frame" models (there's that phrase again!) will generally not mount on a full frame camera and if they do are not likely to have a large enough image circle to avoid serious vignetting. So the 50 f/1.8 (sometimes called the "nifty fifty" :D ) should work nicely. An-n-d it will give you a field of view about like an 80mm would on a full frame camera, so it should be a pretty nice perspective for portraits with your 40D.

irislynx

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Dave, Ty again for the update, I was pretty positive it would fit, But, Seeing I'm quite new to canon, Reading about the adapter did make me wonder about it a bit. I have been reading about how if you get all lenses for a crop frame camera, You would have to get all new ones for a full frame as they won't fit. ( Learning more and more as I go along and it's finally starting to sink in a bit) :shock: ... I have a 50mm for my Nikon, But, I have not used it in a long time, And when I post photo's the EXIF info doesn't show up and I sometimes forget what image was taken with what lens :oops: .... Forever learning..

vneilknobbe

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:55 am

It sounds like the 24-70 would be the better lens going by the space restrictions that you describe.

I don't think you will be disappointed with it in the least.

irislynx

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:33 am

yes it does vneilknobbe , And that's the one I will be going with :) , I think I will be quite happy with it after all I have read and images I have seen. ...Ty for all your responses! Will be updating here down the road :wink:

Previous

Board index Photography Technical Questions Raw Image Program