Board index Photography Technical Questions Raw Image Program

Technical Questions

Raw Image Program

Discuss technical aspects of photography
irislynx

Raw Image Program

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi all! I just recently had gotten a canon 40D, But, Unfortunatley , I didn't get the CD's with it, I would like to shoot Raw Images, But, Seeing as I didn't get the CD-rom's with it, I am unable to shoot raw images. Does anyone know about the Canon EOS Solution Disk 68.0 ?? I've heard that this could help me get the tools I need to shoot raw, But, I've never heard of the disk? I do have Capture NX2, But, I don'tknow if Canon will work with it as I have not tried, Has anyone else tried before? Or does anyone have any suggestions???

dw_thomas

Re: Raw Image Program

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:29 am

I'm not entirely sure what you may be able to do. Purportedly some of the older Canon software no longer needs a product registration to download. Some solutions may depend on the operating system you wish to run on.

If you wander through the drivers and support page for the EOS 40D ( http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consu ... ndSoftware ) there is a section where you can (at least try to) download some stuff. It identified my system as Win 7 x64 and said there was nothing available, but for Win XP it shows: EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.0A for Windows. Presumably that contains, among other things DPP which is the program that can do raw conversions. I have some version of DPP running on my Win7x64 system which handles raw files from my EOS 40D and my much newer G15, so something is out there. Of late I believe there is a 3.xx version of DPP and a 4.xx version. From what I saw a while back the 4.xx version can run as 64 bits but doesn't support some of the older cameras. The version I'm running here is 3.14 showing a date of 2014 and still processes stuff from my 40D. I believe some of the other cataloging and printing utilities may have fallen or may be falling along the wayside, but I've operated without them for years.

I don't own it and have never tried it, but I believe LightRoom can do raw conversions also, and there may be a few others.

I suppose you could also contact Canon support and explain your predicament; they might be able to help you (surely by now lots of EOS 40D cameras have changed hands legitimately).

DaveT

irislynx

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Dave, Thank You for your reply! I have both windows7 and windows XP so I will be trying the link and seeing if I can download it ... Do you know where I could possibly get a versian 3.14? ... I don't really need the cataloging and printing either, I just want to be able to work on raw images. I will also be contacting Canon support and seeing what they can suggest ... Thank you Again for your help, It is Very Appreciated!

dw_thomas

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Once you have a version installed, you may be able to do an update from the Canon site. I have done at least one upgrade, but I already have an official registered installation, so I'm not sure whether the "unregistered user" bugaboo may pop up or not. At one time some of the forums (maybe the PhotoNet EOS forum) described or linked to sources showing Windows registry hacks to make it appear you already had an installed set from Canon. That then permitted doing a download to get a later upgrade from Canon. I've no idea whether you would want to get into registry hacks -- I know I would prefer to avoid such stuff! :shock:

irislynx

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Dave, I did call Canon and he told me if I went on the canon osi site that I could just download what I need ...To which there is the 3:14 versian that you have ... But, I have not done it yet because I'm not sure if it's a real site or not and don't know how to tell...

dw_thomas

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:32 pm

irislynx wrote:Dave, I did call Canon and he told me if I went on the canon osi site that I could just download what I need ...To which there is the 3:14 versian that you have ... But, I have not done it yet because I'm not sure if it's a real site or not and don't know how to tell...

osi? Dunno, if you start at that EOS 40D link I posted, maybe you can walk down? For both XP and Vista (which is fairly Win7-like) they show that EOS Digital Solutions Disk 29.0A under 'Utilities' but also under 'Software'. In addition, under software they show individual updaters for a bunch of the utilities (and the Digital Photo Professional ("DPP") goodie as 3.14. I just don't know about the registered bit, although I saw something in my Googling that you might only need a serial number for your camera even in that case.

(You could treat yourself to a Canon G15 or G16 high end Point&Shoot and they come with a disk. :lol: I love my G15! )
Last edited by dw_thomas on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irislynx

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Dave, I'm happy to say that I downloaded from the Canon site and everything is working great on my Windows 7 .. Been working on my Raw images and it's great!!! TY for all your help! I wish I COULD get the cameras you have, But, Way out of my price range I'm sure!! I bet you are realy enjoying them though!! :) ... I guess if I traded in my 4 different camera's and lenses I maybe afford one like yours, But, Kind of enjoying what I have, So all's good for now:)

irislynx

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:36 pm

Dave, You seem to know quite a bit, I also wanted to ask you, ( If you think you would know) ..What would be the best lens for portraits, The 70-200 or the 24-70? I only have an 18-55 right now, But, Want to get one of the other two....

vneilknobbe

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:04 am

Hi

You will probably get a wide number of responses for the type of lenses.

I have heard everything from a short prime (50mm) to using the 70-200 and framing how you want by zooming.

Supposedly the 50mm is the closest to what our eyes see.

I have used everything from a 35mm prime to a 70-200 for portraits and each has it's merits.

(How is that for a recommendation without recommending anything? :) )

dw_thomas

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:15 am

irislynx wrote:Dave, You seem to know quite a bit, I also wanted to ask you, ( If you think you would know) ..What would be the best lens for portraits, The 70-200 or the 24-70? I only have an 18-55 right now, But, Want to get one of the other two....

Ummm -- heh, I know a lot -- but most of it is useless information! :roll: :shock: :lol:

The 40D is a "crop frame" with a 1.6x crop factor so the effective focal length of any lens on it is moved toward the telephoto end; e.g., the field of view of a 24 - 70 comes out equivalent to about a 38 - 112 mm lens on a full frame or 35mm film camera. Traditionally many folks used an 85mm lens for portraits with a 35mm film camera, so that equivalence would suggest the 24 - 70 of the two you mention. But some of this could also depend on your particular style of portraiture and alas, I deal far more (and far more comfortably) with things rather than people, so I'm probably not a good guy to ask. In general the latest ("Mark II") version of the 24-70 is pretty brutal price-wise in the f/2.8 version. The f/4 with IS is less brutal, though far from inexpensive. For some uses, the advantage of the image stabilization might negate the effect of the smaller maximum aperture. Although a larger aperture reduces depth of field and may offer better "bokeh" in the background. That could be useful in portraits. When one is preparing to plunk down that kind of money, the details can be a bit intimidating!

Maybe you could rent one for a weekend and try it before deciding -- could be money well invested.

Glad you got the software cooking. Last time I upgraded this desktop I spent more on software than the hardware.

DaveT

vneilknobbe

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:47 am

dw_thomas wrote:In general the latest ("Mark II") version of the 24-70 is pretty brutal price-wise in the f/2.8 version. The f/4 with IS is less brutal, though far from inexpensive. For some uses, the advantage of the image stabilization might negate the effect of the smaller maximum aperture. Although a larger aperture reduces depth of field and may offer better "bokeh" in the background. That could be useful in portraits. When one is preparing to plunk down that kind of money, the details can be a bit intimidating!

Maybe you could rent one for a weekend and try it before deciding -- could be money well invested.

DaveT

Agreed this is an expensive lens but it became my favourite lens for just about everything. (In fact it only took one use to become my goto lens over the 24-105)

Renting lenses to try them is a great suggestion. Gives you a chance to get a feel for what they can do.

dw_thomas

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 am

Ya, the EOS 40D was my first non-FD Canon, and I bought it with the original 24-70 thinking that might be the only lens I'd ever get. I have added a couple more, but that one is definitely my most serious. And by all I see, the Mk II version is even better. (But at nearly $700 more than what I paid for the original, an upgrade is not in my plans -- unless it breaks!)

irislynx

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 pm

vneilknobbe, Nice recomendations lol, I would like to add that I would like a portrait lens that is the most useful for other images also, Which the 50mm would be good for certain images no? Where as it seems the 70-200 could do more of an all around, I have a hard time choosing between the 24-70 and the 70-200 . TY for your recomendations :)

Dave, Any information to me is NEVER useless, People who are advanced in knowledge ( Like you) are a huge help to people who don't have near as much knowledge about camera's /Lenses ect ( Like me) It matters a lot and is a Great help! I have no outlet here to learn, There are no camera shops ( Other then getting a camera at Best Buy and stores like it, So not much info can be gathered from there) I have no one to do photography with and learn from as I had moved a while back and don't know very many people and those that I do know are not into photography and I can't seem to find a good group around here to go practicing with, So pretty much , Everything I learned, I learned through reading, And here, So any info is major info to me!
I have read a lot about how the 85mm was the top lens used for 35mm portraits, And it's really making me lean towards the 24-70! Would love to get the Mark 11 , It sure is pricey, Might have to stick with the with just the normal 24-70, But, They do sell cheaper on Ebay so if something good comes up price wise when I finally decide what I want I might be able to get the 24-70 mark11 ~ I like to have good bokeh in background for certain images, I have a small set up with flash photography and find that distance and light fall off works pretty good when it comes to fading out the background in favorable way. It's nice to know that the 24-70 is your favorite lens, Especially beacuase I know you have a lot of experience with it. I wish there was a place where I could try/rent lenses, But, There is just no outlet here, They used to have a camera shop here ( Which is where I bought my first Nikon) But, It closed down, So now there is nothing around my immediate area to go to besides as I mentioned Best Buy and Circut city ect. ( Which circut city closed down too)
QUOTE :
The 40D is a "crop frame" with a 1.6x crop factor so the effective focal length of any lens on it is moved toward the telephoto end; e.g., the field of view of a 24 - 70 comes out equivalent to about a 38 - 112 mm lens on a full frame or 35mm film camera. Traditionally many folks used an 85mm lens for portraits with a 35mm film camera, so that equivalence would suggest the 24 - 70 of the two you mention ........ i don't mean to sound stupid ( I am still in major learning stage and it goes slowly) But, I don't understand alot about "crop frame" and the 1.6x crop factor, I love photography, And I bought a camera to try and take certain images without knowing much about the camera at all, I have learned quite a bit along the way, But, Will always still be learning., I was so happy to get the download for the canon images!! I have not had the chance to use it much at all yet, But it seems to be an easily manuvered program :) I want to say TY so much for your help, It meant alot! If you do mind my asking, How long have you been a photographer for?? ( I know it had to be a while seeing as you bought the 40D new) You seem to know so much , Did you learn along the way on your own or did you have help along the way?

dw_thomas

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:20 pm

i don't mean to sound stupid ( I am still in major learning stage and it goes slowly) But, I don't understand alot about "crop frame" and the 1.6x crop factor,

"There are no stupid questions -- only stupid answers." :oops: I find it hard to explain in words -- the "cropping" is related to the physical size of the sensor relative to a "full frame" as related to 35mm cameras, a perhaps somewhat arbitrary standard. The smaller sensors used in the typical consumer level DSLRs only record a fraction of the area that a full frame would record. If you measure the size recorded by the smaller frame, it represents the view a full frame camera would record with a longer focal length. The factor, such as 1.6 means the field of view acts as though the lens was 1.6 times longer than it is marked. But that is all relative, the optical focal length of a 50mm, or whatever, lens is always 50mm. There is a lot of related info online, but it tends to quickly devolve into issues of depth of field and other considerations. If you already own the camera, you just need to know what it does (unless you start lusting for a new and possibly different camera!)

If you do mind my asking, How long have you been a photographer for?? ( I know it had to be a while seeing as you bought the 40D new)

Hehe, assuming we define photographer as "one who takes photographs" (I have never worked as a pro) let's just say I bought my first 35mm camera as a junior in high school -- and I graduated in 1959. :shock: I can't recall that digital cameras were even in science fiction in those days! I was given a Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 box camera somewhere around 1950, presumably to keep me away from mom's folding Kodak. I still have it, and it still works, although 620 film is tedious to come by. That first 35mm, bought with Christmas money at the end of 1957, was an Argus C-3, AKA "The Brick" for its shape. I've had it apart to clean and lube, and adjusted the rangefinder a while back, but I've used it at least once each of the past several years to shoot a roll of film for Argus Day, an event organized by the Argus Collectors Group.

You seem to know so much

Wel-l-l, you know what they say - - - "On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog." :lol:

Did you learn along the way on your own or did you have help along the way?

Mostly on my own; I've made my living in technical geeky areas and seem to have had a knack for observing, analyzing and correcting. In my early twenties I attended a few lectures sponsored by a local camera club, and I do plenty of reading.

Most of my gear I still own: http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/photopastpresent Within the past decade I've purchased an assortment of Bronica medium format SLR gear, as well as two folding cameras from the early 1950s and a Yashica twin lens reflex of late 70s/early 80s vintage which I use and make darkroom prints which I submit to local shows with some degree of success. http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/exhib_photos But I also zap plenty of bits too. And then there's pinhole photography! http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/pinhole

So keep shooting, keep notes, critique carefully and you'll learn.

DaveT
Last edited by dw_thomas on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vneilknobbe

Post Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:16 am

irislynx wrote:vneilknobbe, Nice recomendations lol, I would like to add that I would like a portrait lens that is the most useful for other images also, Which the 50mm would be good for certain images no? Where as it seems the 70-200 could do more of an all around, I have a hard time choosing between the 24-70 and the 70-200 .

Both lenses are great for sure.

One thing you may want to ask yourself is where are you going to take you portraits. Inside or outside?

The 70-200 is a big lens and even at the 70mm end you need to be a fair way back from you subject to focus. So unless you have a big room it may not be practical for you.

What other type of photography do you do. That may make your decision easier. One lens or the other may suit other projects better.

I am sure that which ever lens you get you will be happy as they both are fantastic lenses.

Next

Board index Photography Technical Questions Raw Image Program