Board index Photography Technical Questions Adding Photo to Metal

Technical Questions

Adding Photo to Metal

Discuss technical aspects of photography
tombriggs

Adding Photo to Metal

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:59 pm

HOW Do I DO THIS? I lost my daughter to breast cancer last December and the Breast Cancer Survivor's network wants to make an annual award in her name (for which I'm grateful and honored). We have in mind a placque of some sort which would be given out each year to the person receiving this award and want to include a photo of her on the placue ... this would obviously have to be on metal which would then be added to the placque. I've been to a couple of trophy companies and they don't know how to do this .... thus my question to my pbase brethren. Can this be done ... how can it be done ... and can it be done in color ???? I appreciate any assistance/advice you can give me.

dw_thomas

Re: Adding Photo to Metal

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:54 pm

I have my doubts about color, but I have seen whole landscapes and other photo images printed on aluminum plates -- maybe using a liquid emulsion. I'm not sure who does it (or exactly how). Monochrome images can be photoengraved via a halftone process which is or was used for making printing plates. If some sort of white plastic would work it might be possible to do an archival inkjet print (even color) and then laminate a clear protective layer over it. I did some photo-etched stuff about forty years ago(!) but could never claim to be up to speed with current technology.

Hopefully somebody here in PBase land may have some detailed current info. It is a nice gesture to memorialize your daughter.

DaveT

tombriggs

Re: Adding Photo to Metal

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanx, Dave ,,,

Board index Photography Technical Questions Adding Photo to Metal