Board index Photography Artistic Questions How much will AI change photography's future?

Artistic Questions

How much will AI change photography's future?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
kent_dellaire

How much will AI change photography's future?

Post Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:57 pm

This is the first time I will have posted. If everything goes well, I will start a series of posts that respond to the question: how much will AI change photography's future? I will start it off by saying that AI Mid-century and other software programs have produced some very interesting images, and that recently Adobe has come out with a "beta" version on their latest rendition of Photoshop that will dramatically alter camera photos. It could be that "stock" companies will start to buy these images right along with regular photos. There are a few questions concerning copyright and I believe these concerns will soon be decided by the courts, the reason being that AI (Artificial Intelligence) scrapes the internet for millions of images, including yours and mine, so that it can digest and then regurgitate them, in an entirely new order, to form a completely new image. You only have to describe the image that you want by using words. Needless to say, any outcome of the court's decision will have a huge impact on photography. Since I'm sure there will be a wide difference of opinions on this subject, let's keep the conversations civil and friendly. Just as an aside, I met a girl at the grocery store the other day who was horrified at the idea of AI, saying that it would tell her how to make up her face. I immediately countered this by saying, but you already have photos of hairdos. But you don't have to do either. Apparently, she and her boyfriend had invented a game online, trying to guess which photos were AI treated and which were not. She said they could tell the difference between them. Of course, just like in photography, there will be the ongoing discussions as to whether or not AI images can be considered an art. What are your thoughts and opinions?

tomleroy

Re: How much will AI change photography's future?

Post Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:21 pm

Think there is room for AI in photography but developers in the post processing business could help if they are careful how they implement their AI functions.
If we let AI do everything there is no longer any need for humans to compose a scene take a shot of a flower or butterfly, bird or whatever you view through your camera lens.
Lets hope the smart folks set some guardrails on AI so we can still have some fun with photography, if not then that art form will no longer exist as we know it now.

kent_dellaire

Post Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:49 pm

Hello, everyone,
Here is a link to depreview, which explains how Adobe is planning to use AI in their next rendition of Photoshop. I believe it's worth a read. Just click on the highlight.
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4843862911
In my opinion, depreview is the best camera review site in the world. Unfortunately, it was bought by amazon, which is in the process of shutting it down. But it still works, for now, at least.

kent_dellaire

Post Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:36 pm

Here is article on how AI will change things for illustrators who do story books. To read just click on the highlight.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... 2c14&ei=60

Board index Photography Artistic Questions How much will AI change photography's future?