Board index Photography Artistic Questions Taking pictures in cemeteries with a model

Artistic Questions

Taking pictures in cemeteries with a model

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
gummyb

Taking pictures in cemeteries with a model

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:10 pm

I'm thinking of bringing someone to a cemetery and taking pictures there. Anyone out there who has done this before...can you tell me what's the best way to go about doing this? I'm not sure if I need a permit.

sloopsailor

Re: Taking pictures in cemeteries with a model

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:40 pm

gummyb wrote:I'm thinking of bringing someone to a cemetery and taking pictures there. Anyone out there who has done this before...can you tell me what's the best way to go about doing this? I'm not sure if I need a permit.

Well--probably should ask for permission BUT it probably won't be granted.

I would go in when no one is there and shoot. In a case like this its easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission first. If someone asks you what you are doing, explain you just using the cemetary as an artistic background and smile a lot. They will probably leave you alone. If they ask you to leave, do it.

gummyb

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:06 pm

That's why I'm not sure if I want to ask.

llung

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:10 am

I see people with cameras in cemetaries all the time. Go to Pere Lachaise in Paris - everybody has a camera.

gummyb

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:43 am

I know that I can bring a camera, go shoot some scenics during the day time. But tagging a model plus some equipment late in the day...not so sure. Don't they lock the gates?

dirtyol

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:00 am

You might get some interesting shots if you are locked in over night :twisted:

gummyb

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:58 am

Ha! The fence is pretty low! Some of the cemeteries here don't even have fences...but they are not approriate for the type of gothic shots that I want. I happen to live near the city of Colma, which is the record holder where the dead out number the living!

camera0bug

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:23 am

Depends on the cemetary of course.

Might not want to do it when there's a burial going on.

:twisted:

Don't be afraid to be different than the pack.

gummyb

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:00 am

Well, I just scouted the various cemeteries in my area and they all closes at 5PM. There was one that is so huge that I doubt anyone will notice even after dark. No gate!...but a car would be seen immediately. I guess we'll have to walk in before it gets dark...minimum equipment.

timjackson

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:46 pm

Make sure that none of the headstones is identifiable in your finished images, if they are for public viewing -- especially if you're not asking permission beforehand.

macha

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 pm

gummyb wrote:Well, I just scouted the various cemeteries in my area and they all closes at 5PM. There was one that is so huge that I doubt anyone will notice even after dark. No gate!...but a car would be seen immediately. I guess we'll have to walk in before it gets dark...minimum equipment.

Shame you don't live near old smaller cemetaries. Where I live it's not unusual to come across one in the woods. No one cares about them and the headstone are quite old. They have so much more personality than the large urban ones.

Good luck though...sounds fun.

clickaway

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:51 pm

Do you have gravestones in churchyards over there? They have much more atmosphere than municipal cemetreries.

Just be subtle and show respect when there and how you publish.

Ray

gummyb

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:46 am

Good idea...Have to look at the church yard option. I think I only have an issue as the photos will involve a Gothic model. I'm sure there are other more isolated and deserted cemeteries outside of city, but I only have a few hours and can't drive too far.

gpaai

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:30 pm

sloopsailor wrote:
gummyb wrote:I'm thinking of bringing someone to a cemetery and taking pictures there. Anyone out there who has done this before...can you tell me what's the best way to go about doing this? I'm not sure if I need a permit.

Well--probably should ask for permission BUT it probably won't be granted.

I would go in when no one is there and shoot. In a case like this its easier to ask for forgiveness than get permission first. If someone asks you what you are doing, explain you just using the cemetary as an artistic background and smile a lot. They will probably leave you alone. If they ask you to leave, do it.

And though it may seem like a hassle, bring 3 or 4 cards, shoot 20 to 25 images at a time, constantly changing out cards. I was shooting on private property once and was asked to leave. The owner of the property also asked me to delete all of the images on my card which I did right in front of him. I had 3 more cards full of images in my pocket... :D
I love photoshopography.......

harrydavid

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:32 pm

I did it a year or so ago, I did call the local police and let them know what I was doing and gave them my cell phone number so they could call me if anyone complained. Here is a link to what I was shooting: http://www.pbase.com/harrydavid/ghosts
It was a great way to learn some new things in photoshop.

Next

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Taking pictures in cemeteries with a model