Board index Photography Artistic Questions Gaussian Blur on People

Artistic Questions

Gaussian Blur on People

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
jayinhouston

Gaussian Blur on People

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:31 am

Can somebody tell me how to use gaussian blur on skin tones to make them look spectacular? I have seen some great photos that use it, but when I try it, my photos look nothing like theirs.

What settings are standard?

gummyb

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:08 am

It's because it not just the blur effect, but a multi-step (e.g. labor intensive) work. Just get the book PhotoShop for Photographers by Scott Kelby as it is all in there.

gemmf

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 am

The simplest way is to first duplicate the layer, then apply the Gaussian blur on the top layer, change the layer property to 'screen' (or you can keep it to 'normal' or experiement with others), then adjust the opacity to your liking. You can also run a bit of eraser (with low opacity) on the subject to remove the blur on that area.

jayinhouston

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:40 pm

gemmf wrote:The simplest way is to first duplicate the layer, then apply the Gaussian blur on the top layer, change the layer property to 'screen' (or you can keep it to 'normal' or experiement with others), then adjust the opacity to your liking. You can also run a bit of eraser (with low opacity) on the subject to remove the blur on that area.

What should the Gaussian settings be?
Jay Villa
Villa Entertainment Company
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055

gemmf

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:16 am

I don't think there's any set rule, so you should experiment. I just tried around radius 5 (layer - normal, opacity 50%) and it produces a very pleasant effect.
Last edited by gemmf on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 am

gemmf wrote: You can also run a bit of eraser (with low opacity) on the subject to remove the blur on that area.

add a layer mask in first & edit that though.. so you can easily paint back any mistake

don't know why the first responder was so unhelpful - the above solutions will work fine in the majority of cases

jayinhouston

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Ok,

I made an attempt to try and soften the skin here:

I am not satisfied with the results.

Here is what I did:
1. I increased the saturation a bit to boost the colors by adding an adjustment layer . The original photo was a little flat.
2. I added a curves adjustment layer to further separate the model from the background. Only minimal though.
3. I duplicated the background layer twice. On one, I added a gaussian blur about 5.0 pixels 50% opacity. On the other, I sharpened the edges twice.
4. I erased the edges of the gaussian layer. 50% opacity, 25% flow, brush size of about 10-20 depending on where I was on the photo.

My photo looks nowhere as clean as the ones seen on this link:
http://member.onemodelplace.com/image_category_display.cfm?Image_Type=Lingerie&Member_ID=179000&Member_Type=Photographer&temp_image_size=1

What am I doing wrong? I have tried to screen the guassian layer, and it just blew out the picture. It was waay too bright.

Thanks for your help.
Jay Villa
Houston, TX 77055

halesr

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 pm

You might want to try overlay or softlight for your blend mode and see if that works better than screen on your blurred layer.--Rene

halesr

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:01 pm

MORE RESOURCES

Here is an alternative to the gausian blur method.
http://www.pixalo.com/articles/Perfect-skin-everytime-using-Photoshop.php

Another skin technique: Glamour Retouching: Porcelain Skin
http://www.mambo.net/as/view/156

Lots of suggestions and links here. Be sure to check The Texan
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/archive/t-3516.html

HTH--Rene

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:30 pm

halesr wrote:MORE RESOURCES

Here is an alternative to the gausian blur method.
http://www.pixalo.com/articles/Perfect-skin-everytime-using-Photoshop.php

Another skin technique: Glamour Retouching: Porcelain Skin
http://www.mambo.net/as/view/156

Lots of suggestions and links here. Be sure to check The Texan
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/archive/t-3516.html

HTH--Rene

Hmm.. that porcelain skin one - the example makes her face look unnaturally desaturated.. don't like that!

Certainly the median effect is worth looking at, tho yet again, the sample doesn't help - so maybe it is more complicated, but i sense that one has to work hard rather than rely on a blanket effect - not a bad thing!

jayinhouston

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:53 am

OK, Here is my second attempt.

On top of editing for color, I used the healing tool to remove some blemishes.

Then I used the polygonal lasso tool to select her skin on the background layer.

I stayed close to the edge, but not going over. I also did not select her eyes, side of her nose, lips, and other places so they would stay sharp.

I then smoothed the selection by 2 pixels.

I then contracted the selection by 5 pixels and then feathered it by 5 pixels.

I made layer via copy to just create a layer for her face and then again for her body.

I then added a gaussian blur of 4.0 pixels for both the face and skin. I left the layers at 100% opacity.

Here is another photo using the same exact technique:

I feel like I am a little closer. Your opinions and thoughts ?
Jay Villa
Houston, TX 77055

gemmf

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:02 am

jayinhouston wrote:What am I doing wrong? I have tried to screen the guassian layer, and it just blew out the picture. It was waay too bright.

It would be bright if you don't reduce the opacity.

jayinhouston

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:49 pm

gemmf wrote:It would be bright if you don't reduce the opacity.

I did. I reduced it at different levels and still did not get the effect I wanted.
Jay Villa
Houston, TX 77055

agroni

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:25 pm

Actually what i did on this photo is just removed the bad stuff with the spot healing brush on the forehead and on the cheeks. In the end i have applied some Blur Brush on these parts to level the smoothness

Here is the photo:

and here is the original:

Somehow i was not able to repair a photo using the Gaussian blur. It had strange non realistic effects!!!!

jayinhouston

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:36 pm

OK, by accident I found that the Neat Image plug in actually does wonders for skin.
Here is an image I shot on 35mm some years back. I wanted to use neat image to clean up some of the noise, but just messing around with it, I shocked myself at what I saw in the skin.

Here's another one..

I am really pleased with these results.
Jay Villa
Houston, TX 77055

Next

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Gaussian Blur on People