Board index Photography Artistic Questions To frame or not to frame?

Artistic Questions

To frame or not to frame?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
lailie

To frame or not to frame?

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:58 am

Hi,

I've just learnt how to create frames around my photos, so I've created a duplicate "framed" version of one of my galleries (my first foray into blatant "photoshopping"), and would really appreciate your feedback to help me determine which gallery to delete.

Below I've attached two images; one with and one without a frame.

My first question is simply, does the frame enhance the presentation / image?

My second question is should all the frames in a gallery be the same?
In my gallery I have both black and white frames (depending on the main colours within the image) and I can't help thinking that this looks a little messy :?

Many thanks in advance if anyone has the time / inclination to respond :)

rileypm

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:42 pm

A frame may or may not work but the black frame does not work at all.

wakelin

framed

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:38 am

I just think keep it simple, the eye can be distracted away from the picture. If you want to use a frame in a gallery then I think it is always best to keep the same frame throughout.

but then what do I know..

Regards
Linz

smylie

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 pm

I prefer the first image with a single line. The second image with the frame is OK, but I prefer the first

Frames are OK and very much a personal taste. I do agree they should add and compliment the image not compete with it as a lot of digital frames seem to.

I tend to like simple coloured frames on thumbnails as multiple small images just plonked on a page looks "untidy" to me. Much better to be framed the same. :D

I prefer to show most of my larger images as large as possible on the page without scrolling so I usually like a single line to seperate the image from the page. I do however occationally like a drop shadow as in my image here:

lailie

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:13 am

Thank you for your honest feedback - much appreciated :D

eightmegapixel

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:27 am

I really like the frame showed by Smylie. Do you mind sharing how you do the shadow effect behind the internal frame?

grimbo

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Hi Julia,

Just a quick reply to you asking about frames, I have just started making some of my own
[urlhttp://www.pbase.com/grimbo/image/76980098/medium]Image[/url]
Frames can be very effective, my brother is a model maker for film and television http://www.andremasters.co.uk/index.htm

Hope this helps

Glyn

tsctsc

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:59 am

I just think keep it simple, the eye can be distracted away from the picture. If you want to use a frame in a gallery then I think it is always best to keep the same frame throughout.

For some reason I can't view the image in the frame. But I do agree that a frame can be distracting at times.

-Tanner

lailie

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi,

Firstly Glyn,

many thanks for your post - I'd seen your frames in your "in box" gallery before I saw this post - I hadn't realised that you'd made them yourself - most creative :D :D

Secondly Tanner,

thanks also for your post, the reason that you can't see the image in the frame is simply because I deleted the gallery following the feedback I received. The consensus was that the frames were detracting rather than adding to the pictures - so they got the chop :oops: however it was only a duplicate gallery :D

Thanks again for all comments, regards Julia

tsctsc

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:46 am

BTW, awesome galleries!

Board index Photography Artistic Questions To frame or not to frame?