Board index Photography Artistic Questions "Him Against The World"

Artistic Questions

"Him Against The World"

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
genghis45

"Him Against The World"

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:21 am

How does this composition strike you?

Last edited by genghis45 on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sean_mcr

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:06 am

Well its hard not to think of Rocky here scott. Also reminded of Jimmy Cliffs Many rivers to cross

The fence adds to the feeling of one mans struggle to be free but it's a metaphor for all of us, to live the life he (we) wants to despite the obstacles. The greatest obstacle in our life are often the ones we make for ourselves but it's possible to overcome them.

The shot's also anachronistic, which is cool

Keep shooting

Sean

alexphotos

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:26 pm

It sa great shot I really like it, but the only thing I dont like is I think your have to much sharpen or contrast the guy.
If you look at is feets and the ground arround it it dose not look natural. I would recomand to use a gausin blur on the brick of the ground and a other blur tiny one on evry thing else arroud it.

But your B&W technique is great!
Alexandre Trudeau-Dion aka ALEXPHOTOS http://www.pbase.com/alexphotos <=== http://www.Alexphotos.ca

jdepould

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Just out of curiosity, where is the "artistic question" here?
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

sean_mcr

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:54 am

jdepould wrote:Just out of curiosity, where is the "artistic question" here?

The photograph is the question, how does it make us feel, what if anything resonates to us.

genghis45

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:11 pm

sean_mcr wrote:

The photograph is the question, how does it make us feel, what if anything resonates to us.

Makes me feel good.

:-)

jdepould

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:59 pm

sean_mcr wrote:

RIIIIGHT, I'm sure this isn't a lame attempt to get around the new Show & Tell restrictions . . .

P.S. love how it was edited after the comment, classy
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

bobt54

Re: "Him Against The World"

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:20 pm

genghis45 wrote:How does this composition strike you?

How about deja vu, Scott. You posted this in the Show and Tell forum. http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=31184

But keep it up, Scott. The sooner Pbase bans you like you've been banned at other sites, the better.

genghis45

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm glad you like the composition.

sean_mcr

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:19 pm

jdepould wrote:
sean_mcr wrote:

RIIIIGHT, I'm sure this isn't a lame attempt to get around the new Show & Tell restrictions . . .

Alls i do is look at photographs, i'll leave everything else to the admins, that side does not interest me to be honest.

genghis45

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:26 pm

sean_mcr wrote:
jdepould wrote:
sean_mcr wrote:
Alls i do is look at photographs, i'll leave everything else to the admins, that side does not interest me to be honest.

Let's look at this one. Do you find the relationship between the police car and building interesting? I do because for a number of reasons.

rileypm

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:40 pm

I find the police car to be a considerable distraction. What are a few of your reasons for finding it interesting?

genghis45

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:03 pm

rileypm wrote:I find the police car to be a considerable distraction.

Wait a minute. You didn't spend thirty minutes examining this picture.

rileypm

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:09 am

OK, I have now spent way more time looking at this picture than I wanted to. The police car is still a distraction. I see a reflection a building in the window of the car and if I squint my eyes I can make out a bit of a reflection in the trunk of the car. There is some sort of strange black thing on the trunk of the car as well all of this lending to the distraction from the beautiful building with the red top, bottom and fire escape. The windows on the building are interesting as well as there are at least three different styles. I also enjoy the way the row of buildings drift to a near vanishing point down the street. The police car distracts from all of this. Once again, what are a few of the interesting reasons you have for liking it?

genghis45

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 am

rileypm wrote:OK, I have now spent way more time looking at this picture than I wanted to. The police car is still a distraction. I see a reflection a building in the window of the car and if I squint my eyes I can make out a bit of a reflection in the trunk of the car. There is some sort of strange black thing on the trunk of the car as well all of this lending to the distraction from the beautiful building with the red top, bottom and fire escape. The windows on the building are interesting as well as there are at least three different styles. I also enjoy the way the row of buildings drift to a near vanishing point down the street. The police car distracts from all of this. Once again, what are a few of the interesting reasons you have for liking it?

Nitpicker.

Next

Board index Photography Artistic Questions "Him Against The World"