Board index Photography Artistic Questions who can help me find a certain photo?

Artistic Questions

who can help me find a certain photo?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
eli31772

who can help me find a certain photo?

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:43 am

Hello everybody!

I'm searching for a nice photo that a came across one day. I try a lot of ways on the net but with no success.

Maybe any of you know the photo or can give me a tip on how to find it specifically?

It's a black and white photo from the 50' 60'. The style is a bit like Doisneau. There we see a woman with quite short black hair walking opposite the viewer's direction with her back to us. She is on a quite tight white dress showing her beautiful full body lines, as was the taste then. About forty men from all ages and types are staring at her (I believe the photo was staged).

The photo, I presume, was taken in Italy cause we see on the background a sign of the "ZUCCA" cafe that as far as I saw is a chain of cafes that started on Italy and a guy holding a paper so we can see the beginning of its name "La" that could be "La Stampa".

Any ideas? Thank you all,

Eli

soenda

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:19 am

Would the photo be considered fine art and displayed at an art museum anywhere? I've had great luck looking for prints of famous photos at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Smithsonian and the Chicago Art Institute. If you know what period its from, or even look for prints by the photographer you said this photo reminded you of, you might find the one you are looking for in the same general section.

I've also had success by looking for things in the context of "the greatest works of the Impressionists" or the greatest black and white photos of the 1930s." Sometimes you manage to find work in the same style of the print you are seeking, but you can back track it that way.

Poster selling companies also offer photo prints. You might get lucky that way.

I just checked and Google Images shows more than 13000 Robert Doisneau images. Buy looking at where the prints reside---which gallery or museum, you might get more leads on how to locate your prize.

Good luck. I once had to find Picasso's Blue Man Playing the Guitar for a birthday present, and strategy I used was pretty much as I just described it,

Goo luck to you.

PS: If you saw the photo in an ad, by all means get in touch with the company for whom the ad was made to see if you can get the name of the ad agency that put together the campaign. Two phone calls might be all it would take. Lost shot might be to go to a bookstore or library and look for a collection of Doisneau's work and simply flip through til you find it.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions who can help me find a certain photo?