Board index Photography Artistic Questions How do you put YOU into a picture?

Artistic Questions

How do you put YOU into a picture?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
ericvision

How do you put YOU into a picture?

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:41 pm

I've been looking through my galleries. I haven't updated them for a while due to lack of time.

One thing that strikes me about my own galleries is that there is nothing about them that says, "This is me." I don't see any individuality there and I don't think that I have a personal connection with the images.

Is it as obvious to everyone else that that is missing? How do I add the missing component? Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen :D

jdepould

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:40 pm

I asked my photography teacher about this last semester, because I felt (and still feel) that I don't have a cohesive, unique style. Some of it is just the nature of what I shoot, I do a lot of different things, so I have to be something of a chameleon. Her reply, though, was that I always seemed to have a bit of distance between myself and the subject. Not necessarily that I work a lot of wide angle, but that I tend to separate myself from the scene.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

alain_lestrade

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:33 pm

I personnally tend to use the same focal 24mm (more generally, wide angles) because that's the one which corresponds to my feeling. I don't know either I have a style or not, I only notice that I'm able to extract photos from myself.

Yes, that's the most important: EXTRACT from yourself.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions How do you put YOU into a picture?