Board index Photography Artistic Questions How do you go about photographing in bright sun light?

Artistic Questions

How do you go about photographing in bright sun light?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
thatcherphotography

How do you go about photographing in bright sun light?

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:38 am

I recently got stuck doing photos in a very bright mid day setting, BOOO! It was their only time for photos. The sun was nasty bright. I didn't like most of the photos that I was getting. Shade was not much of an option at all. I just want to here what other people do. Stuff like (ISO, angles, aperture, filters, face position) I don't always have an assistant to hold a shade maker.

Thanks!

djwixx

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:45 pm

I would suggest your question is far too broad. What are you trying to photograph and what results are you trying to achieve? Do you just want the foreground, do you need the background etc etc. What equipment are you using and what can you stretch to for additional equipment? Do you have examples of what you consider bad results?

I'm not an expert but I'm sure with some more qualified information there are some qualified people who would be able to help.

thatcherphotography

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:44 pm

Engagement portrait showing blurred background, Canon Mark III 70-200 f2.8 IS, 24-70 f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 II all L series.

Here is the link to the examples I have posted.

http://www.pbase.com/hiphopandgo/harsh_light

djwixx

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:08 pm

Some immediate thoughts............pending more time.

The time stamp on the picture says it was mid morning and the shadow would also seem to indicate it. I would suggest the ISO was set too high with ISO 100 probably being better for the situation. If you wanted the background then F8 or higher may have been better. See http://www.dofmaster.com for dof tables relative to focal length. The combination of aperture and ISO didn't help. If your back had been to the sun then the exposure conditions would have been far more favourable. In this case you could have reduced the exposure compensation to reduce harsh light but it would have strengthened the shadows.

thatcherphotography

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks!

ghsmith178613

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:04 am

sorry i missed you first post and image. this texas sun in summer is really bad news. maybe you will get the chance to try it where everything is made of limestone (here)

your iso is way to high to loose the dof that you want to. f/4 will get rid of alot of it. if you can work faster, then do it. also think about a longer lens to take advantage of the compression factors.

i always carry an off camera flash (norman 200c) on a radio slave (pocket wizard) this will let you use the sun as a fill. you can swap back and forth - sun as main and flash as fill, flash as main, sun as fill. it's all about ratios.. it really is.

you other questions are delt with in photography text books. the lessons can be learned by doing, evaluation,, and doing more.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

djwixx

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:39 am

ghsmith178613 wrote:sorry i missed you first post and image. this texas sun in summer is really bad news. maybe you will get the chance to try it where everything is made of limestone (here)

your iso is way to high to loose the dof that you want to. f/4 will get rid of alot of it. if you can work faster, then do it. also think about a longer lens to take advantage of the compression factors.

i always carry an off camera flash (norman 200c) on a radio slave (pocket wizard) this will let you use the sun as a fill. you can swap back and forth - sun as main and flash as fill, flash as main, sun as fill. it's all about ratios.. it really is.

you other questions are delt with in photography text books. the lessons can be learned by doing, evaluation,, and doing more.

You always have great advice. It would be great to see some of your work online at Pbase?

ghsmith178613

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:44 am

djwixx wrote:You always have great advice. It would be great to see some of your work online at Pbase?

if this is an issue for you, let's take it off forum.

meanwhile, enjoy the free stuff.

bobt54

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:15 am

A couple of things that I do is to use a polarizing filter to get good cloud to sky contrast with the intention of converting them to black and white or if you have the filter and the right camera/lens is to shoot infrared. They are always best for me in the brightest sunlight.

http://www.pbase.com/bobt54/image/42818677

Other things I do is to wait for a cloud to come along or shoot subjects in the shadow of a building. If you are in the city bright sunlight on one building tends to bring out nice reflections on the one opposing it in the shade.
Last edited by bobt54 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:32 am

ghsmith178613 wrote:
djwixx wrote:You always have great advice. It would be great to see some of your work online at Pbase?

if this is an issue for you, let's take it off forum.

meanwhile, enjoy the free stuff.

He complimented your advice and then you had to go be a jerk about it. On this website we share photos AND advice, pal. If you don't like that, then maybe you should take yourself off forum.

ghsmith178613

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:39 pm

Dave....
check your mail. thanks again.
g.

pikkabbu

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:35 am

What are you trying to photograph and what results are you trying to achieve?

yes, I thing that this is the right question.

To make it simple : if you expect to take the best photo for next landscape contest, you've better to avoid hard midnight sun. If you want to show how hard can be the sun in Africa, take it about 2 o'clock.

Sorry if it sounds that simple :oops:

For outdoor portraits : just after sunrise or befor sunset should be ok, but at "hamburger with a bear" hour, don't.

Anyway, I'm ready to make me a member of any "we defend the right of taking photos when the sky has no clouds" club or asociation.

:wink:

pik

Board index Photography Artistic Questions How do you go about photographing in bright sun light?