Board index Photography Artistic Questions How do I achieve higher standards?

Artistic Questions

How do I achieve higher standards?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
bipasha

How do I achieve higher standards?

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:34 am

The link below is for my favourite pbase photographer. Her photos are just amazing. I'm new to photography. Can some one tell me how to achieve this standard??

http://www.pbase.com/zippo/oldlayout

I had sent a message to the person directly but received no reply. Any inputs would be appreciated. I would really like to improve.

Regards
Bipasha

genghis45

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:44 am

Shoot as often as you practically can. Practice your fundamentals, and practice and experiment with composing.

bipasha

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:04 am

sorry ..but what's 'fundamental' and what's 'composing'?? Are there any links where I can read up about it? Does the camera make a big difference? I have a canon powershot s2.
Are the photos by Monique heavily modified using photoshop?

halesr

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:10 am

Here is a link to Basic Photographic Techniques. It includes information on composition. HTH-Rene

http://photoinf.com/General/NAVY/Photographic_composition_Balance.htm

bipasha

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks for the link..will read up on it.

simplephotography

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:05 pm

No question is easier to answer than this one: be passionate, take loads of photographs, ask questions and then shoot some more.
Why not contact that favorite photographer of yours and ask her whatever you want to learn?

I get lots of questions and I just love to help people out. But photography is my absolute number 1 passion, close to obsession, and I could talk about it 24/7. That's how I learned.

bruce46

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:30 am

bipasha wrote:sorry ..but what's 'fundamental' and what's 'composing'?? Are there any links where I can read up about it? Does the camera make a big difference? I have a canon powershot s2.
Are the photos by Monique heavily modified using photoshop?

I'm also a newbie and the first thing you have to do is upgrade your equipment to a digital SLR camera. Then study how to get the correct exposure under certain conditions in the environment. This is what I'm concentrating on right now.

This link, http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81252 , might help you take off on the right path.

brickfielder

Post Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:25 pm

The photos you admire are using good photographic techniques and for every picture in the gallery there we probably quite a few which did not make it into the gallery. Be selective ,take the same picture many different ways so that you can learn what works for you. Look for special lighting often at the start and end of the day and remeber that a good photographer can take interesting photos with any camera.

Here are a few tips , but remember rules are always made to be broken.

Technical Tips
1) Move closer and fill your shot.
2) Prepare by spending time thinking about depth of field, exposure compensation and composition before shooting.
3) Compose your shot with care placing and sizing things within your shot to emphasize.
4) Select your focus point carefully.
5) Choose your lighting or time of day carefully.
6) Err on the side of under exposure especially with shots with a lot of light colours (white).
7) Choose your depth of field/Aperture so that where you want the viewer to look is wholly in focus.
8) Don't be afraid to use a flash.
9) keep your shutter speed high to allow for movement.
10) Once you understand why certain techniques work then you ready to explore techniques that should not.

Artistic Tips
1) Be quick if you want to catch that instant.
2) Be selective ,showing only that which enhances the shot.
3) Keep it simple where detail is not integral to the shot.
4) Be bold and look for striking contrasts, textures, shapes and colours.
5) Choose your angle of view to make the shot more striking.
6) Choose your shot so that a background is plain and does not draw your attention.
7) Choose lines ,curves and light to draw the viewer into the picture.
8) Look for colours which compliment each other.
9) Don't be afraid to shoot part of the whole if it is only that part which draws your attention.
10) Pay close attention to what attracted you to take the shot and choose your shot to emphasize that aspect.

madlights

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:59 am

Another thing is to practice shooting in Black and White. It'll teach you about contrasts and composition..since most art whether painting or photography uses some kind of contrast to define the subject. Whether it's contrast in directionality, darks and lights, textures, shapes, sharpness and blur or color. Shooting in B&W will teach you about looking and being more able to spot simple contrasts and compositions ...without the confusion of color. As you get better at it, add color...and be aware that color contrasts can also add to definition, but color can also subtract from definition if not used properly. Photography it seems to me is a lot about definition...and thinking what you want to define...and how. All the other things that have been said are great tips too. Your camera doesn't matter as much as you matter. There are great photos taken with large and medium formats...rangefinders, SLRs, DSLRs, Digicams, Holgas, pinhole cameras, and cellphones....

sheila

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:56 am

You are getting very good advice here. A cardinal rule is the ability to "see" an image (while others pass it by).

Here is an example of "seeing" a shot. I was headed home in late winter when the shadows were long. I noticed the shadow that a bicycle was making on the ground. And I took this snap

A second rule, although not set in concrete, is the famous "rule of thirds". Here is an example

This is one of my first shots taken with my then Canon D60.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

pinemikey

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:34 pm

....and after all that, don't forget to have fun. :wink:

Board index Photography Artistic Questions How do I achieve higher standards?