Board index Photography Artistic Questions composition question

Artistic Questions

composition question

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
rwallace

composition question

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:26 pm

I'd like some input on this shot. Normally, I wouldn't put my subject so close to the center of a photo. It looked right when I shot it, but still I wonder if it could be better.
How would you have framed it? Does it work the way it is?

http://www.pbase.com/rwallace/landscapes

halesr

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:56 pm

I am not sure, but I do find some of the foreground distracting. You can take out some of that then crop the right side so that the right edge of the tree sits at the edge of the image. I would leave the round rocks at the very edge of the water on the left in as I think they are a nice element. Let me know if this is not at all clear.--Rene

rwallace

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:46 am

Okay, here's an alternate crop, keeping it standard size I lose the tree on the right, but keep it close to suggestion.

I'm not sure that I like it better, or worse. The framing when I took the shot was - bridge center. Even though it's moved to the right a little, it feels like the viewpoint of the bridge is still in the center of the frame because of the position of the rails and the bridge. Do I make myself clear? In other words, I was standing in and pointing to the center when I took the shot because it looked so inviting.

Last edited by rwallace on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rileypm

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:59 am

Most of my photos are taken dead on subject front and center. The rule of thirds as well as all the other rules are in place to make the photos appealing. My photos, for the most part, please me and appeal to me. For me, that is end of subject. Do what pleases you. (I do suppose that if you break the rules and someone finds out, it will go on your permanent record)

pikkabbu

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 pm

I think that there are centered pictures and centered pictures.... and no all of them are centered.

:mrgreen:

It depends upon what shows the photo a part of the centered subject.

Symetry, for exemple, is a powerful composition, and it needs subject to be centered.

I feel we should analyse our pictures in a weight balance way and not only in static position.

I mean one can analyse how all the elements of his photo balance, and not only the main subject place.

About this photo, I feel that your 2d version with a crop works better for me.

pik

pinemikey

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:42 pm

rwallace wrote:Okay, here's an alternate crop, keeping it standard size I lose the tree on the right, but keep it close to suggestion.

I'm not sure that I like it better, or worse. The framing when I took the shot was - bridge center. Even though it's moved to the right a little, it feels like the viewpoint of the bridge is still in the center of the frame because of the position of the rails and the bridge. Do I make myself clear? In other words, I was standing in and pointing to the center when I took the shot because it looked so inviting.

I would think that to express the inviting nature of the bridge that it might be better to be closer and shoot at a lower angle to emphasize what's on the other side of the bridge.

This is sort of what I mean....

bruce46

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:07 am

I don't know but I think there's nothing wrong with the photo. The scene is nice and the exposure is right so I guess, it's ok. Nothing to worry about.

kerrym

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:35 am

I like that tree on the right, and think it adds balance. I've done a crop that I think is nice, for you:

Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

gordon_b

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:34 am

For what it's worth I'd have been on my knees to take the shot. This would have lost some of the distracting foreground and given some "elevation" to the shot. Of course, hindsight is 20:20. The crop above works really well though.

Gordon.

rwallace

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:03 pm

I like that tree on the right, and think it adds balance. I've done a crop that I think is nice, for you:

kerrym,

You're hired.

r

andrys

Post Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:19 pm

rwallace wrote:

kerrym,

You're hired.

r

I'd do that too :-) Good contrast, cropping, and what a great frame.

kerrym

Post Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:33 am

Thank you so much, my pleasure. :D
Now - where's that contract with some wages then?
Kerry Mitchell NZ
http://www.pbase.com/kerrym

Board index Photography Artistic Questions composition question