Board index Photography Artistic Questions Question about restrictions on photography

Artistic Questions

Question about restrictions on photography

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
heffa

Question about restrictions on photography

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:41 pm

I'll be attending a drum corps show in a couple of weeks and had hoped to take a bunch of pictures (proud papa and all that). The shows I've been to so far have announced there is no audio or video recording because of music copyrights, but still photos are okay. Makes sense.

At the most recent show I attended, they said you could take still photos with a 6" lens length limit. A pro photographer goes to some of these events and sells packages afterwards, but he wasn't at the show with the 6" rule nor will he be at the upcoming show. Beyond not stepping on his toes, it's not clear to me why they wouldn't allow larger lenses for personal pictures.

I was planning to take my Canon 400mm F2.8 lens which would be in conspicuous violation if the 6" rule is in effect. I thought about doing it anyway and making someone tell me to stop (ask for forgiveness instead of permission), but I'm not comfortable doing that when I don't understand the rationale behind the rule.

Any ideas what's at play here? What would you do?

To follow is a picture I took of my daughter (front and center) with the 400mm lens from half way up the grandstands. I used my Canon Digital Rebel XTi for this shot but will be taking a Canon 1Ds Mark II to the next show.

http://www.pbase.com/wienerman/image/81349244

Thanks!

rileypm

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:21 am

You really need to ask the people who make the rules.

pinemikey

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of a single pro photographer getting preferential business just because he sells some photo packages. Do they have a contract with the school? I guess it is a school event and the administration could do what they want, but I would be up before the next school administration meeting asking to rescind such a repressive rule. If you demonstrate that you are a parent just wishing to get pictures of your OWN child, how can they really have the right to restrict that?

This is a disturbing trend following a similar thread about pro photographers expecting restrictions on guest photos at weddings. I guess if it is a couple's wish I would respect it, but where do they get these restrictive ideas? In a free society telling people what to photograph and what not to photograph sounds wrong. To most of us, photography is a hobby and not a threat to a professional...so these restrictive rules for pros to monopolize an event sounds just wrong.

The problem is, most school administrative types tend to be on the petty side, so if you said, shag it, I'll take whatever lens I want, they'll have no trouble banning you from your own daughter's events. What a world it's coming to, being restricted over a pricey photo package by a pro who may or may not have a clue what they are doing anyhow.

heffa

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:32 pm

pinemikey wrote:I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of a single pro photographer getting preferential business just because he sells some photo packages. Do they have a contract with the school? I guess it is a school event and the administration could do what they want, but I would be up before the next school administration meeting asking to rescind such a repressive rule. If you demonstrate that you are a parent just wishing to get pictures of your OWN child, how can they really have the right to restrict that?

This is a disturbing trend following a similar thread about pro photographers expecting restrictions on guest photos at weddings. I guess if it is a couple's wish I would respect it, but where do they get these restrictive ideas? In a free society telling people what to photograph and what not to photograph sounds wrong. To most of us, photography is a hobby and not a threat to a professional...so these restrictive rules for pros to monopolize an event sounds just wrong.

The problem is, most school administrative types tend to be on the petty side, so if you said, shag it, I'll take whatever lens I want, they'll have no trouble banning you from your own daughter's events. What a world it's coming to, being restricted over a pricey photo package by a pro who may or may not have a clue what they are doing anyhow.

I agree, though this is not a school event. Drum Corps International oversees several independant teams competing throughout the summer. They raise their own funds (mostly from the participants). The finals will be in the Rose Bowl and televised on ESPN. I would imagine DCI licenses their images much the way a pro sports league would... which basically means they want to retain rights to make money on them.

I followed the previous advice and asked the event organizers about the rules regarding photography. They quoted the parent organization's rules which disallow video/audio recording for copyright reasons, but permit personal still photography with no mention of equipment limitations. Apparently, the 6" rule must have been created by the organizers of a single event. I still don't know the rationale behind it, but the main thing now is that I don't have to worry about dealing with it at the upcoming show I'll be attending.

Thanks for the replies!

jdepould

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:47 pm

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I can think of several lenses no more than 55mm focal length that are longer than 6"

It was obviously made by someone who knows nothing at all about cameras.

The other thing is that taking your own photos doesn't necessarily preclude purchasing the photo package anyway.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

heffa

Post Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:00 am

Follow up:

The DCI Drum & Bugle Corps world championships were held at the Rose Bowl last weekend. On the first day, I took my camera and two lenses: a Canon EF 16-35mm lens and a Canon EF 70-200mm lens.

At first entry, they let me in with both lenses. When I left and tried to re-enter, they for sure weren't going to let me bring the 70-200mm lens back in, and they involved 3 people in a debate as to whether I could bring in the 16-35mm lens! I told them I'd gotten in earlier with both, and the reply was, "then somebody didn't do their job". I asked why there was a lens size restriction and all they knew was they were told not to allow big lenses.

They ultimately let me enter with the 16-35mm lens. The next day I brought my 85mm f1.2 lens and didn't have any more problems after that.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Question about restrictions on photography