Board index Photography Artistic Questions Paris Gallery - can't decide on this tossup

Artistic Questions

Paris Gallery - can't decide on this tossup

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
tsienni

Paris Gallery - can't decide on this tossup

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Hello Pbasers!

http://www.pbase.com/tsienni/fete

This is a recent gallery of mine. Initially I hoped to set the number of the photo entries under 20, but the gallery kept growing. When I reached 30, as of now, I told myself I really had to stop. Still, I had taken too many shots for this event, so I wonder if I made the right choices at all in my selection.

I ask for your input. Is(or are) there one or two shots in the gallery that you find less successful/interesting than the rest? Naturally I appreciate hearing a reason for your pick, but this is actually not essential. I indexed all the photos there, so just tell me the number, it would suffice.

One example candidate photo that I'm thinking of substituting you can view here.

Thanks in advance!

// Tsienni

tsienni

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:51 am

[Edit] Just not to cause future confusion. I have deleted #9 and made the above-mentioned substitute photo take its place.

So I basically answered my own question. If you're still reading this, thanks for following this thread.

sean_mcr

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:26 am

tsienni wrote:
So I basically answered my own question. .

"A picture can be an answer as well as a question but if you can't answer your question try to question your question.

Ernst Haas

"Because, you know, the photographs . . . are more a question than a reply."

Sebastião Salgado

Hiya pal

The only reason why i did not respond until now is because i really do believe that there's only one person for the job and that's you
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

tsienni

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi Sean, nice to hear from you. Set up any new gallery? Haven't been around for some time so I'd like to follow.

To question my own question. To be very honest, I must say it's a better situation for me now than before. Last year at this time, I'd have to ask for others' opinions on every pic of mine. Now is a bit better, so before I uploaded, I had tried checking out on what and what domain I might apply some self-critique. Or if I have looked at the photo long enough, I might finally form a veritable judgement myself. I could now say something about my 2 or 3 year-old photos in this way. But recent ones are always difficult to tell. There's also a problem of objectivity. The viewer might see something that never even occurs to the photographer because he/she's in a different shoe. I'm not saying we do photos to please anyone or others' opinions sway the motivation of the photographer. You do it out of your own conviction for sure. The question is how well you did it. I dont know if you ever participate in certain photo festivals where you have the chance to meet some well-established photographer and present your most proud photos and just wish to hear some comment, good or bad, to help you progress. Oj, have to admit I dont have one single shot to be proud of so I'd just be content in asking questions here. :D

Do I make sense? Humm, I'm not a good writer, I know.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Paris Gallery - can't decide on this tossup