Board index Photography Artistic Questions B/W or Color ?

Artistic Questions

B/W or Color ?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
tsienni

B/W or Color ?

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 am

Hi,

This photo I have thought about for a long while but still wonder whether the black and white or the color version suits it better.

The picture in question :
http://www.pbase.com/tsienni/image/92158582

The alternative one:
http://www.pbase.com/tsienni/image/92209703

What's your take on this?

On a separate note, regarding the bw version, I came up with a high contrast. Does the contrast look "too much" to you? and how much is too much in this case?

Thanks for reading this post. I would appreciate your feedback.

// Tsienni

ernst

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 pm

I like them both, the colour one has an old feeling over it.
In the end, I think I prefer the B+W of the photo is to be shown on its own. The high contrast works fine here.
The colour one may work better in a series, especially when the other photos have a similar look.

Was this the kind of comments you're looking for?

Regards,

tringhenge

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:26 pm

As a single image I definitely go with the b+w version, but I've always preferred b+w shots of people.

mikeangstadt

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:21 am

I think the color one looks better. The "almost-but-not-quite-sepia" feel works well.

tsienni

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks for the comments. It's helpful for me, because I must confess that after going back and forth from one version to another too many times I think I lost touch of what my exact initial reaction was at the actual scene.

Visually speaking I have felt the overall tonality in b/w seems more coherent, the photo is less likely to go wrong under monochrome. On the other hand, the color one looks more straightforward, a bit easier for the message to come across. One detail is that "hunger strike" written on his vest. I like the fact that it's in red, this would be lost in b/w.

So I still hesitate... But it's good to hear of your impressions. Thanks for passing by.

tsienni

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Mike,

I just had a tour of your site. We joined Pbase on the same date, exactly one year apart. Welcome to Pbase!

mikeangstadt

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:21 pm

Haha...what a coincidence! Thanks for the welcome! I'm really liking it here so far...trying my best not to be too intimidated by all the great photos I see!

andrewnyhus

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:04 pm

tsienni....

Nice image!

I really like both options as well. However, I am a big fan of B&W so that would be my choice....

azato

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:09 am

I would say the BnW works best.

How about seeing how mostly desaturating the picture works?

tsienni

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:59 am

Hello,

How do you mean, "mostly desaturating the picture"? Since desaturating the picture would result in a b/w, as I understand. Could you please elaborate? Thanks.

---

Sorry I come back, but I just realized you were probably suggesting "partial desaturation"(?).

Then it makes sense to me, thanks again.

tsienni

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:52 am

Guys,

Could anyone be kind enough to have a look at this one - it's the last photo from the same series:

http://www.pbase.com/tsienni/image/82067614

I have the suspicion I've overdone it... don't know, I already retouched it several times. Still too bright or too dark? Too blurred too contrasty? Please let me hear you.

Thanks!

azato

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:53 pm

I don't think you are asking the right question.

The question I would ask you is, "What do you want the viewer's focus to be on?"

Then you could ask, "Does this accomplish what I am seeking?".

If you want the focus to be on the people, then I think you failed. If you want the focus to be on the strong lines then I think you did fine.

tsienni wrote:Guys,

Could anyone be kind enough to have a look at this one - it's the last photo from the same series:

http://www.pbase.com/tsienni/image/82067614

I have the suspicion I've overdone it... don't know, I already retouched it several times. Still too bright or too dark? Too blurred too contrasty? Please let me hear you.

Thanks!

tsienni

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:07 pm

The former. I would like the focus to be on the people.

What went wrong then.. Was it because the people appeared not in sharp focus? There's a thick plastic layer in between, I didn't manage to get this done well. Or you mean the framing, the lightening perhaps? Or the lines, or other highlights, are distracting for the subject, do I get you right?

Thank you for your response, Azato.

azato

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:04 pm

I am no expert here so take what I am about to say for what it is worth:

There is a science for how they eye works on an image and there are certain "rules". I am not sure what they are but I imagine that that we tend to focus on what it sharp and what is bold (as well as following lines). Just looking at your picture without concentrating, my eyes are drawn to the lower third of your picture where those strong white lines are.

If you want the focus to be on the people then crop that picture in a big way but leave the white framing around the people. You will get a panaramic style crop (1:3 ratio or so) but I think it will get you what you want - the focus to be on the people.

tsienni wrote:The former. I would like the focus to be on the people.

What went wrong then.. Was it because the people appeared not in sharp focus? There's a thick plastic layer in between, I didn't manage to get this done well. Or you mean the framing, the lightening perhaps? Or the lines, or other highlights, are distracting for the subject, do I get you right?

Thank you for your response, Azato.

pj_photography

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:34 pm

Going back to the first 2 pics I like the colour one :o)

Board index Photography Artistic Questions B/W or Color ?