Board index Photography Artistic Questions New Gallery - HDR (CC etc welcomed!)

Artistic Questions

New Gallery - HDR (CC etc welcomed!)

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
birsay

New Gallery - HDR (CC etc welcomed!)

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Hello Everyone,

I posted the below on "Show & Tell" but it occurred to me that there may be folks on this forum who could help me out too:

I've just put up a new gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/birsay/hdr. I'm taking my first tentative steps with HDR, but still don't really understand how it all works...how sometimes the same settings in software give completely different results between two images, and indeed what all the settings do. I'm using Photomatix Pro 2.5.4 for the HDR bit, with tidying up in CS3. So far, I've only generated HDRs from a single RAW NEF image - the images in the gallery are examples of this process. My next goal is to get out with the tripod and capture some bracketed shots, so watch this space!

For me, HDR isn't about unnatural, over-real (sometimes even surreal) images whose colours look almost Disney-esque in character, it's just another stage in post-processing which allows us to more accurately portray what we saw when we pressed the shutter. I don't think the images in my gallery look 'unnatural' but I'm happy to be corrected.

Please pass by and have a look - I welcome all comments and critiques, good and bad, either on the gallery itself or via PM Very Happy

Thanks and Regards

Doug

http://www.pbase.com/birsay

bhdeki

Re: New Gallery - HDR (CC etc welcomed!)

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:29 pm

I like your photos. I like the subject of your photos even more. Where were these taken? Cumbria?
As far as the HDR--I have never tried to use this effect but am interested in doing so. The problem tends to be that either the picture looks incredibly beautiful or it tends to be "hokey" and supernatural. From the ones I have seen the pictures with alot of different colors tend to not look so realistsic whereas the landscapes you have with only subtle differences in color are beautiful.
Either way you are moving in the right direction.
Cheers,
Bhrett

Board index Photography Artistic Questions New Gallery - HDR (CC etc welcomed!)