Board index Photography Artistic Questions Is b&w better than colour? Why?

Artistic Questions

Is b&w better than colour? Why?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
shaunmac

Is b&w better than colour? Why?

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Any opinions?
Are the old ways better- is black and white more powerful than colour?
For me, you just can't beat b&w- it is more thought provoking and lacks the distractions of colour. It breaks the photo down to subject and light.
Have a look at my pics and see if you agree: www.pbase.com/shaunmac

sean_mcr

Re: Is b&w better than colour? Why?

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 pm

It's pretty much the same question as the thread below and I'm sure the answers will be same to.

http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31386
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

doady

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:00 pm

shaunmac wrote:Any opinions?
Are the old ways better- is black and white more powerful than colour?
For me, you just can't beat b&w- it is more thought provoking and lacks the distractions of colour. It breaks the photo down to subject and light.

Sometimes light is the distraction.

atkelley

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 pm

I personally LOVE BW :however, my mom grew up in the 50's and 60's and she said all they had was BW pictures. So everytime I switch a picture to BW it drives her crazy because she wants to know why I would want to "remove all the beautiful color" that she never got to see in her childhood pics. I notice some people love BW and some people actually DO NOT like it at all. It's a really interesting thing.

madlights

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:43 am

Yeah I think it depends on lots.

genghis45

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 am

Color can be quite expressive.

carrozza

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:06 pm

For me black and white is more dramatic and emphasizes texture. Black and white images also seem to look sharper than the same image in color. I think because the edges are more defined. Many images are also better left in color especially if they are low contrast. Subject also matters and; I really can't explain it, but black and white can project a sense of honesty, at least to me.

reflectionsbyruth

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:36 pm

I do mostly color because the scenes I choose to photograph need color.
Its not a matter of whether b/w or color is better, its a matter of what the photographer takes a picture of.
As said earlier, higher contrast pictures can definitely look best in b/w. Also portraits if taken with mood in mind can really be powerful.

I've seen some pictures where the subject is somewhat lost because its in color, change it to b/w and your subject suddenly stands out.

That being said, I think the girl stands out as the subject better in b/w where as in color, its the red tablecloth that takes your attention. :)

khun_k

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 am

Color or black and white is simply the artist preference, or in the commercial world - require by paid clients. It has something to do with the photographer, not the picture itself. Photographer exhibit their picture with their interpretation of the world, it is about the story and what they want to express, not B&W or color. IMHO.

ndigi

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:04 am

khun_k wrote:Color or black and white is simply the artist preference, or in the commercial world - require by paid clients. It has something to do with the photographer, not the picture itself. Photographer exhibit their picture with their interpretation of the world, it is about the story and what they want to express, not B&W or color. IMHO.

I fully agree with khun_k that B/W photos are of personal's or your clients' preference. I was an amateur analogue photographer and I had a great interest in B/W but did not have the chance to really learn how to develop them.
Now with digital, we can tweak and experiment with different tones. I like platinum B/W photos.
I still love color photos, though.
Enjoy your photography and do a little bit of adventure with digital soft ware ( I use Photoshop CS2 and CS3 and Power Retouche ).

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Is b&w better than colour? Why?