Board index Photography Artistic Questions Visiting tips for New York and Chicago

Artistic Questions

Visiting tips for New York and Chicago

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
agroni

Visiting tips for New York and Chicago

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:31 am

I have posted this message in the Travel section but somehow i didn't get any response.

In August I am planning a trip to Chicago and New York and was wondering if i could get sot tips from photographers that live or have visited these two cities.
If someone has pictures of buildings, i would appreciate if he could post and advise me where i could find it.
I am interested in mostly modern architecture. Can be anything from Sears to Chrysler building, and maybe also some rare architecture structures (modern and historic) like the Prarie Houses from Frank Lloyd Wright or the Flatiron in NY or something modern build in the past years.
If you have any idea and a cool place where i could take a good picture, i would appreciate if you could share.
I hope that i am not asking the impossible :roll:

cheers,
agron

agroni

Re: Visiting tips for New York and Chicago

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:52 am

thanx for a quick reply ;)
Actually i did a google search and found many links. But this is the stuff that everyone knows.
but there are many small architects with their not very known projects but the projects themselfves are a masterpieve waiting to be found.
Maybe i could say, that i want to take a picture at a place where no newspaper has ever gone before :)
;)

stuegan

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 am

Hi,

I visited New York last winter and personally found the old meatpacking district and fashion districts in Manhattan (west of Greenwich Village and midtown) to be interesting in terms of old buildings, warehouses etc. etc. I didn't get many good photos round there though, but its photographed far less than a lot of other areas in Manhattan. There are also one or two interesting new buildings popping up there that stand out as they're right next to the older ones or old dock yards and tend to dwarf them in terms of size.
Also, have you considered Brooklyn? It's not exactly off the beaten track, but again is photographed far less than Manhattan and there is plenty to see there. I was only there for a day and didn't take many photos but there are the old brownstone houses, I spotted an interesting town hall, an old art-deco cinema, and Coney Island may throw up some unusual structures. Hope that helps!

Chicago I have no idea about :roll:

agroni

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:16 pm

stuegan wrote:Also, have you considered Brooklyn? It's not exactly off the beaten track, but again is photographed far less than Manhattan and there is plenty to see there. I was only there for a day and didn't take many photos but there are the old brownstone houses, I spotted an interesting town hall, an old art-deco cinema, and Coney Island may throw up some unusual structures. Hope that helps!

hhmmm that sounds interesting...probably will go there if you think it's a cool place!
Do you have any photos from there?
And how is it with security, cause i don't actually not which districts are safe for tourists and which are not!?!?!?!?

dang

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Doing a search yields 500 galleries: http://search.pbase.com/search?q=New+York&b=Search+Photos&c=sp
You might ask some of the people that have shots posted.
Hope you have a nice, and safe trip.

mahowel

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:37 am

This is a silly thing to add but there is only three things that I can say about Chicago. It is windy as hell, very beautiful and impossible to maneuver in a truck that is close to 14 feet tall. If you like city scapes there are millions of possibilities under the EL. Please share when your trip is over!! I didn't have time to take but one or two shots a couple of weeks ago when I was there for work.

agroni

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 am

mahowel wrote:It is windy as hell, very beautiful and impossible to maneuver in a truck that is close to 14 feet tall.

Windy also in August???
For sure when i returen i will post photos. I just hope i have good weather.

jypsee

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:50 pm

see here:
http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/chicago

http://www.pbase.com/jypsee/crownfountain

yes, Chicago is windy even in August; just wandering along Michigan Avenue or in Millenium or Grant Park will give you LOTS of photo opportunities.

HTH,
Mary in SW Florida, USA

ethan_c

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:34 am

Yep - Chicago is windy in August, or any other month of the year for that matter. :lol: I'm a local, and I'm still not used to the wind.

There are different sections of the city, and you'll get a different vibe from each of them.

The Loop - plenty of skyscrapers, Sears Tower, ect.

Gold Coast - Michigan Avenue, upscale shopping, The Mag Mile, Hancock bldg.

Lakeview - Artsy part of town - lots of shops and theaters and bars.

In the Loop there is a water taxi that will give you a great view of the city's architecture, and I think they have an architecture cruise that might be worth a look, too.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, you can check out my Chicago gallery at http://www.pbase.com/ethan_c/my_kinda_town

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Visiting tips for New York and Chicago