Board index Photography Artistic Questions How to make up for bright mid-day sun

Artistic Questions

How to make up for bright mid-day sun

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
heffa

How to make up for bright mid-day sun

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Sometimes the opportunity to shoot something only comes at the worst time -- in the bright mid-day sun. Here is an example:

The lighting is harsh, the shadows are dark, the colors aren't interesting.

What can you do (if anything) in post-production to help rescue a shot like this?

photomary

Re: How to make up for bright mid-day sun

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:52 am

Hey Jeff, I thought I'd take a stab at this using PS CS2 since it has the Shadows/Highlights feature to bring out shadows. I also used the Mountain setting in the Virtual Photographer filter plugin to help the colors some. Yes, I'm heading out for a couple of weeks vacation and I know I'll be in your same situation..... Mary

heffa

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks Mary. I appreciate the tweaks you put on it... subtle, but improved.

I guess the bottom line is to follow the old rule -- shoot at dawn and dusk while avoiding the blazing mid-day sun. Too bad it's not always possible lol. I get spoiled looking at some great "magic hour" lighting and wish for the same effect on the mid-day shots, but it's not there to be had.

moffetb

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:01 am

Likes all rules, there are always exceptions. Go out and shoot when you can, if it's morning and evening great. If it's mid-day, look for something. There's always something out there that you can photograph...

heffa

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:00 pm

moffetb wrote:Likes all rules, there are always exceptions. Go out and shoot when you can, if it's morning and evening great. If it's mid-day, look for something. There's always something out there that you can photograph...

Indeed. I feel like my photography is cliche. I need to challenge myself to think beyond the obvious... which is a lot easier said than done. I really admire the creative thinkers around here. You make it look easy, but it's clearly not!

photomary

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:01 am

What do they say? when it's bright out like this, then get closer and shoot things that are in the shade. Not necessarily what we might have come there to shoot, but what the hey....

moffetb

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:16 am

Most of the time, the biggest concern for daytime light is contrast. You have digital, shoot RAW, and use multiple images in an HDR to reduce the contrast as necessary. Like ISO in digital you now can change things to suit your need.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions How to make up for bright mid-day sun