Board index Photography Artistic Questions How to achieve plastic skin look in photoshop?

Artistic Questions

How to achieve plastic skin look in photoshop?

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
jon_lim

How to achieve plastic skin look in photoshop?

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering how I can achieve the plastic skin look as overused in magazines...

Is there a filter I can just run?

Any info/steps/guides would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jon

e.g. Image

shawnkraus

Re: How to achieve plastic skin look in photoshop?

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:52 pm

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but I have used the Surface blur tool in PS to make the skin smoother.
--Shawn

dang

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:34 pm

I think it takes a bit more than what can be done in processing, these guys usually have young models with near blemish free skin, and professional make up artists working with them. Example being http://www.pbase.com/benjikan
There are programs which might help some, but tattoos... :roll:
Someone needs to ask, "Do you really expect to pull the look off with this type model?" :)

Would be nice if the photo was hosted on Pbase too...

pete198

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:23 am

In photoshop duplicate the background layer and gausian blur to 30% the image will look totally blurred thats ok, next select the history brush and in the history pallet set the brush to the blurred state, select the state in the pallet above this which will take you back to the original picture, using the history brush at around 10% and a soft brush you can smooth the skin as much or as little as you like, if you overdo it you can reduce the opacity of the layer.
hope this helps.

marypar4

Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm

I would duplciate layer..and try a smart blur..bump the radius up to about 25 to start..and keep the theshold down to around 20 and just fool around with it til you get the look you want..very plastic looking effect. After you get the right look take the eraser and go over the teeth and eyes to bring back the sparkle..good luck.

sullyc5er

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:11 pm

To me that photo looks like a Topaz effect.

I used Topaz to enhance these photos of my grand-daughters. The more you push it, the more plastic it looks.

mnl

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 am

Could be you are referring to a heavy-handed noise reduction effect. See if PS gives what you want---- RAW controls are better (I think it's a lite version of Noise Ninja.) I still like the full NN plug in (there are other good ones as well). Since I've quit flash altogether, I'm often shooting low light at high ISO. Not optimal, but works in my circumstances. I typically use the automatic profiling and then fade to keep as much realistic grain as I can. That said, unless there's some special reason (hard to believe it's an artistic one), if the viewer can tell that there's been a filter or name the PS steps you've taken, you've probably gone too far. Plastic skin? Why? Here's an example I can pull up.

All M8. Mostly 28 2.5 Elmarit http://www.pbase.com/mnl/photo_diary

Board index Photography Artistic Questions How to achieve plastic skin look in photoshop?