Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes : 13

shawnkraus

aBsTrAcT

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:25 am

What is it that makes an abstact image good or bad ?

Is abstract just a matter of opinion or taste ?

Should an abstract totally distort the original image or should it be partially included in design?

mahowel

Re: aBsTrAcT

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:21 pm

I think that the answer to all of the above is taste and opinion. I like abstract art, BUT I didn't at one time I though that it was a bunch of useless lines and colors. Now that I have been around (good) art for many years I love it. Well most of it anyway.... I still see things that people call abstract that I wouldn't consider to be.....Ok I should of stopped at the first sentence, like all art the beauty, form,function is all in the eye of the observer IMO.

http://www.pbase.com/mahowel/image/104147382
Last edited by mahowel on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

brandproductions

Re: aBsTrAcT

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:05 am

I think its kind of hard to answer those questions without first defining what an 'abstract' photograph is. I think theres a pretty stable defanition of abstact art and forgive me if this is just my ignorance showing through but as I understand, abstract photography isnt so concretely defined. However, I dont have any formal training in photography so please correct me if Im wrong. I know abstract art is lines, colors and shapes with a focus on the relationships between said objects, but out of curiosity, what would define an abstact photograph?

By definition the abstract is an expression apart from concrete realities or specific objects. So could that mean that any photography that represents an image differently than its actual physical representation can be called abstract?

Board index Photography Artistic Questions aBsTrAcT