Article: "The Creative Surge"

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
genghis45

Article: "The Creative Surge"

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:37 pm

"THE CREATIVE SURGE"
by Genghis

"MISTAKEN IDENTITY"

Introspection toward one's own artistic process is a fascinating exercise. Creativeness in street photography is an often mysterious and amorphous entity, shrouded in folds of overlapping urges and flows, starts and stops. While we all have periods where we are more creative and motivated than other times, I can say this about myself. It is the structure of getting out there in the street and becoming engaged in thinking about and composing street pictures, that allows my creativity to come to the surface. Some may have to feel creative in order to get into the streets to shoot. With me, it's just the opposite. Hitting the street switches my mental gears until I'm in final drive, ready to compose and shoot with a fresh mind's eye. I'm out there seeing and creating once I'm out the door.

Central to my street shooting creativity, is The Walk. It is the walk that opens up my mind's eye to the possibilities. It is the route of The Walk that dictates the fate of man meets subject matter. Every walk has a sequence, in which the world at large unfolds before my eye, where fortuitous circumstance lends me it's ear. It is through the street world's ear, that I hear the music---a music that only I can hear---that I want to transpose into a visual interpretation. Since The Walk is so important, I will let this paricular walk play the music for you. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. With these fifteen pictures that I'm showing you in the same sequence in which I exposed them, there will be a song of fifteen thousand words. See the pictures---hear the music. Here is what I saw, and what I heard:

FINITO
Last edited by genghis45 on Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

mnl

Re: Article: "The Creative Surge"

Post Fri May 01, 2009 2:27 am

Your walk is totally my neighborhood. It's a duller, blander place without my camera, which is close to never. I'm always interested in the specifics of why photographers select certain photos as meaningful to them personally, and why there are others (perhaps) that they share. Been to the current Leica gallery exhibit? Anyway, this is a neighborhood of enormous contrast and irony. 3 photos would mean more to me if they were set by themselves: The lady and yoga poster, the enjoy life desk, and the man watering ??whatever. In each case, things are not as they should be or opposites call out for resolution.
All M8. Mostly 28 2.5 Elmarit http://www.pbase.com/mnl/photo_diary

genghis45

Post Fri May 01, 2009 9:23 am

mnl wrote:Your walk is totally my neighborhood. It's a duller, blander place without my camera, which is close to never. I'm always interested in the specifics of why photographers select certain photos as meaningful to them personally, and why there are others (perhaps) that they share. Been to the current Leica gallery exhibit? Anyway, this is a neighborhood of enormous contrast and irony. 3 photos would mean more to me if they were set by themselves: The lady and yoga poster, the enjoy life desk, and the man watering ??whatever. In each case, things are not as they should be or opposites call out for resolution.

Here's another one from our (I've lived in the Lower East Side since '69) neighborhood. I think you'll recognize it as the Astor Place subway station, near the Leica Gallery. The owners of the Leica Gallery are friends of mine.

TITLE: "STRENGTH & STAMINA"

mnl

Post Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 pm

genghis45 wrote:[(I've lived in the Lower East Side since '69) ]

Well, I've been here for 6 months---3+ in NoHo. I've done photo-documenting as part of my work, and now I'm making the transition to documenting me. My new Pblog is evolving to accomplish that task for myself and an audience of about 100 friends and acquaintances. My first inclination was to keep the gallery locked, but I've been persuaded to "open" it. Street photos are fascinating to me, and also really annoying. At the moment I'm trying to follow at least one personal (and documentarian and editorial) rule:

Do not assume that my photos will speak for themselves. Unless there's some stunning and undeniable artistic or emotional effect, they are only meaningful to me unless I give some structure----some scaffolding---to let the viewer gain access. Someone else has taken better focused, better framed, more emotional photos of lovers, cell-phone talkers,contrasts and patterns, smokers, homeless persons, blurry subways, etc. Nobody cares about my internet images unless it's clear why they are important to me.

Last few days I've made it to McSorely's, Great Jones Cafe, and the Mayday protests in Union Square. It's all good.
All M8. Mostly 28 2.5 Elmarit http://www.pbase.com/mnl/photo_diary

genghis45

Post Sat May 02, 2009 10:31 am

mnl wrote:
genghis45 wrote:[(I've lived in the Lower East Side since '69) ]

Well, I've been here for 6 months---3+ in NoHo. I've done photo-documenting as part of my work, and now I'm making the transition to documenting me. My new Pblog is evolving to accomplish that task for myself and an audience of about 100 friends and acquaintances. My first inclination was to keep the gallery locked, but I've been persuaded to "open" it. Street photos are fascinating to me, and also really annoying. At the moment I'm trying to follow at least one personal (and documentarian and editorial) rule:

Do not assume that my photos will speak for themselves. Unless there's some stunning and undeniable artistic or emotional effect, they are only meaningful to me unless I give some structure----some scaffolding---to let the viewer gain access. Someone else has taken better focused, better framed, more emotional photos of lovers, cell-phone talkers,contrasts and patterns, smokers, homeless persons, blurry subways, etc. Nobody cares about my internet images unless it's clear why they are important to me.

Last few days I've made it to McSorely's, Great Jones Cafe, and the Mayday protests in Union Square. It's all good.

Welcome to the area. I work on 9th Street near University Place.

Scott

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Article: "The Creative Surge"