Board index Photography Artistic Questions Eyes of Laura Mars...a Learning Experience

Artistic Questions

Eyes of Laura Mars...a Learning Experience

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
benjikan

Eyes of Laura Mars...a Learning Experience

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:41 am

Eyes of Laura Mars

I was inspired to write this short introduction to this film from 1978 starring Faye Dunaway called "Eyes of Laura Mars" by someone on a photography forum that said that some of my imagery reminded them of the film. I had totally forgotten how affected I was by this film as I had not yet been a photographer, nor had I ever considered the profession at that time.

In watching this vignette about the film, I was struck by the mastery of the images being shown and it dawned on me that none of it was manipulated in Photoshop. That is how I learned photography, never considering, what will I do in post prod once the photo shoot was a wrap. Yes there might be a painted by hand fine paintbrush skin retouching and some dark room manipulation, but not at all what we are capable of doing in post production today.

Some of the images look like they were taken by Guy Bourdin or Helmut Newton. The models were definitely the Top Models of the epoch like Lisa Taylor in the outdoor location girls fight scene.

Some great lighting and great photography from a film that really did (and this is rare) depict an epoch in fashion that no longer exists.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=1198

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Eyes of Laura Mars...a Learning Experience