Board index Photography Artistic Questions “Why I Won’t Shoot for Free”…

Artistic Questions

“Why I Won’t Shoot for Free”…

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography
benjikan

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I wanted to share my RANT with you via this incredible Video with Author Harlan Ellison. One of the Sci-Fi Greats.

He mirrors my sentiments perfectly. The only difference is I would swear a lot MORE!!!

I think I have paid my dues. Don’t insult my intellegence and ask me to do a job for free!

Are you listening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=1251

madlights

Re: “Why I Won’t Shoot for Free”…

Post Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:31 pm

I haven't read the links yet Ben, but when I was in school one of my instructors always said "no money, no art.... and remember that"
I always liked what Georgia O'keeffe said to the City counsel of a small town near here, where she grew up. When asked if she'd like to donate a painting to the library there, since she grew up in the town, she responded with something to the effect of "maybe you'd like to donate your library to me, since I grew up there?" my words may not be exact, but....close enough

Edit: Man he was mad, and I don't blame him. What in the world makes some people think that art, and art that takes a lifetime to learn...either by going to school and then the school of hard knocks, or the school of hard knocks period, is any less valuable than what they do? Nobody...amateur, novice, anybody should ever sell themselves for free. Art is worth something and if it isn't worth it to the artist who makes it, who in the _+#@ is it worth anything to? I've been told that there are bands playing in popular bars, for free...just for the publicity in some major cities here...that really helps anyone trying to make a living at it eh? I've seen people devalue a work of art right in front of an artist " too expensive"...what a crock. Who do these people think they are! Well I'm not going to rant, not with a link like that...he says it way better than I could. :) and besides I don't wanna pop a cork.

sean_mcr

Re: “Why I Won’t Shoot for Free”…

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:18 am

Vermeers widow had to give up 'Lady Writing A Letter' to a baker to settle their bread bill. I was lucky enough to have seen the painting in Ireland's National Gallery and I'd give a little more than that for it. I saw Caravaggios' 'The Taking of Christ' while I was there The pianting was donated to the gallery and was missing for many years before it was rediscovered in a priests house with the wrong title and credited to the wrong painter. Didn't cost them a penny, I'm very glad of that as I may never have got to see it.

Two great works of art. One surrendered for a bread bill the other lost for years and credited to to wrong painter and given the wrong title. Caravaggio died in exile Veermer died in debt

Any good work of art can never be free, it costs its maker a great deal, it can't be quantified. It's they that often pay the highest price for it
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? -

W. Eugene Smith

Board index Photography Artistic Questions “Why I Won’t Shoot for Free”…