Board index Photography Artistic Questions When viewing a gallery featuring a model would you.......

Artistic Questions

When viewing a gallery featuring a model would you.......

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography

Please choose one.

Four to six extremely strong images from the shoot?
68%
Eight to twelve images that stand on their own but start to look alike?
27%
An unlimited number, I want to see everything the Photographer shot during the shoot?
5%

Total votes : 37

gpaai

When viewing a gallery featuring a model would you.......

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:35 pm

rather see:
I love photoshopography.......

madlights

Re: When viewing a gallery featuring a model would you.......

Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:45 pm

gpaai wrote:rather see:

I think you really have hit on something here. I myself usually am guilty of posting too many images in a gallery. Think that's where great photographers especially excel, since 'everyone' makes bad or mediocre shots. Great photographers (and maybe great artists of all kinds) are great editors. Think this is a good post, since it really gives something to think about and makes a very good point, although many don't shoot models, it could apply to all. Every once in a while I get thinking about this, and go into my own galleries and cut a bunch...but never enough :D

prinothcat

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 am

I live in the spray and pray world of sports photojournalism. It always intrigues me to see how many images other people at the event will post to online hosts and merely flood on to FB and Tweet. I sometimes walk away wondering if I undershot an event...

billinchapelhill

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:45 am

Each image should be distinct in a presentation gallery. So for the most part from what you see in too many model galleries is that there should be only 1 shot--the best one.

akmc_in_au

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:25 am

billinchapelhill wrote:Each image should be distinct in a presentation gallery. So for the most part from what you see in too many model galleries is that there should be only 1 shot--the best one.

I'm not a model shooter but I'll stand by my vote; I don't think that there are many shoots where there is just one that is the best shot. In many cases you may get a number of "moods" or themes in a single shoot, capturing different aspects of the subject. You can cover that in half a dozen images in many cases. The galleries that make me lose interest is where they have 2625.jpg, the model. 2626.jpg, the model with head tilted 1mm to the left. 2627.jpg, a further 1mm tilt. 2628.jpg, half a mm further... you get the idea.

amoxtli

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Gary,

I think the number of images to some degree depends on the model, the shoot and the photographer. Some can say it well with less and some say it better with more. Though I am not a model shooter myself, I have seen small model galleries which were very focused and effective and larger galleries showing a model with different clothing, locations, poses which showed more versatility and more character of the model. I have also seen galleries where (almost) every shot was posted with very little difference in the images. That in my opinion is not effective and the viewer soon loses interest. I think a model gallery which can effectively engage the viewer and in which every image generates interest is best. Just my .02.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

markland

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Folks tend to put one photo on a wall, advertisers use one photo for a billboard or magazine layout but to tell a story - well doesn't it come down to editorial - short story or novel? Good thread to get us all thinking though.
-Mark
Born again, digitally.

Board index Photography Artistic Questions When viewing a gallery featuring a model would you.......