Board index Photography Artistic Questions Article: "Why Wide Angle For Street Photography?"

Artistic Questions

Article: "Why Wide Angle For Street Photography?"

Discuss style and artistic aspects of photography

treecat

Re: Article: "Why Wide Angle For Street Photography?"

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:23 pm

That's very interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with all of it, particularly that a wide angle is absolutely necessary to be "honest". Wasn't a lot of film street photography done in the past with Leica's sporting 35-50mm lenses? I also don't think of street photography as confrontational as much as it is documentary. To me, 20mm puts you way to close to people, so that you don't record their activity so much as you record their response to you and your camera. In certain situations this could be ah hmm... unhealthy? LOL!

My own view is that if I walk around my downtown neighborhood, I want to record what I see, what people are doing. I don't want to interject myself into their activities. Again, my own point of view, and I know that others will see it differently.

Ghengis, I see you're the author of this article. I did enjoy reading it very much.

This is an article from our local paper on Chip Simone, who has been working here since the 1970's, primarily in street photography:
http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtla ... 79724.html

genghis45

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:53 am

treecat wrote:That's very interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with all of it, particularly that a wide angle is absolutely necessary to be "honest". Wasn't a lot of film street photography done in the past with Leica's sporting 35-50mm lenses? I also don't think of street photography as confrontational as much as it is documentary. To me, 20mm puts you way to close to people, so that you don't record their activity so much as you record their response to you and your camera. In certain situations this could be ah hmm... unhealthy? LOL!

My own view is that if I walk around my downtown neighborhood, I want to record what I see, what people are doing. I don't want to interject myself into their activities. Again, my own point of view, and I know that others will see it differently.

Ghengis, I see you're the author of this article. I did enjoy reading it very much.

This is an article from our local paper on Chip Simone, who has been working here since the 1970's, primarily in street photography:
http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessAtla ... 79724.html

Thanks. Keep in mind that with the 1.5X magnifiaction factor, the 20mm f/4 Nikkor on my Nikon D1x DSLR, is the equivalent to 30mm in 35mm terms. Three feet from subjects, is a common distance for me.

Genghis

singhstylestudio

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks!, for nice informative articles on Street Photography
Surinder Singh (+91-9971008151) New Delhi, India.
~ Advertising, Fashion & Travel Photographer
~ Fine Artist, Poet & Creative-n-Content Writer
~ Short Film Writer, Director & Co-Producer

http://www.SinghStyleStudio.com

Board index Photography Artistic Questions Article: "Why Wide Angle For Street Photography?"