Board index Equipment Printers New Printer - Your advice please.

Printers

New Printer - Your advice please.

michaelc2204

New Printer - Your advice please.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:44 am

HI, I am looking at a new priner-I currently have an Epson RX630 and I am not all that happy with it. It has been suggested that I look at other Epson models ( R1800, R800 & R300). I use a Nikon D70s, iMAC and Photoshop Elements4. I have some problems trying balance (calibrate) what I see on my screen, as to what is actually printed as a photo.

Any, all advice would be much appreciated.
Regards
Michael

websnail

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:51 pm

I could be wrong but the RX630 is likely to have the same printer base as the R300 or R320 so unless you can tie down exactly what you disliked about the RX630 and resolved those issues then the R3xx models might not be for you.

Can't offer any input on the other models but figured I'd pop that little nugget in there so you can check it out and avoid repeating your earlier experience.
Continuous Ink Supply system reviews, support, etc..
http://www.continuousink.info/

sladez

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:54 pm

Hi Micheal--

I don't know much about your current model of printer but have seen some nice work done with the R1800. I personally own the HP 8750 which to me is even better with zero hassle. On a side note--are you sure your problem isn't with the monitor callibration? That is usually the first place to start when you aren't getting what you are seeing on screen.

Hope this helps.

michaelc2204

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:49 am

sladez wrote:Hi Micheal--

I don't know much about your current model of printer but have seen some nice work done with the R1800. I personally own the HP 8750 which to me is even better with zero hassle. On a side note--are you sure your problem isn't with the monitor callibration? That is usually the first place to start when you aren't getting what you are seeing on screen.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this. You are right, some of my problem is due to Calibration. I am looking at how to remedy this-but this area seems so complex with ICC profiles, RGB v eRGB etc, etc! But, will keep plodding along. Obviously if I can stick with my Epson RX630 I will, but if I do change, currently the two you mentiond are on my list. The only question I have for the HP8750 is that I have read that you need to change a whole triccolor cartridge if only one of the colors runs out?
Michael

sladez

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:56 am

This is true--if one of the colors runs out you need to change the entire tri cartridge. But, there has been extensive testing with this and unless you do a ton of high key or low key prints or color images with a dominant color they really do all run out about the same.

Others talk about the cost of the cartridges--they are expensive but keep in mind you get a new head every time you change a cartridge which means a print you make 7 years from now will look as good as the very first print you make.

I print almost entirely BW so take this next statement with a grain of salt if you do mostly color work---from one #102 (tri-gray cartridge) I can make approximately 50 A4 prints with a 1/4-1/2 inch border. To me.....that is pretty inexpensive. If I did this for a living and printed much more than I do now.....I would own a designjet series printer for sure.

Hope this helps.

michaelc2204

Update

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:09 am

Settling on the Epson R800/R1880- I couldnt quite justify the expense at this time. BUT, I found a cheap second hand Epson 915 on eBay (very cheap)- to say it is a stunner is an understatement. It produces perfect prints, which actually match what I see on screen (yes I did some calibration and learnt about colour profiles & RGB Colour space!). I am now going to "play" around with this printer and get some experience using it and PSE4. Down the track ( I am saving up) I will decide between the Epson R800/R1800 or the HP 8750.
Cheers
Michael

imagingassociates

Searching for Printer Reviews on the Web

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:23 am

Printer Reviews and information about Printer Calibration can be found using these community-driven swicki search engines:

Printer Reviews Search Engine
Printer Calibration Tips Search Engine
Color Management Search Engine

jdepould

Re: Update

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:43 pm

michaelc2204 wrote:Settling on the Epson R800/R1880- I couldnt quite justify the expense at this time. BUT, I found a cheap second hand Epson 915 on eBay (very cheap)- to say it is a stunner is an understatement. It produces perfect prints, which actually match what I see on screen (yes I did some calibration and learnt about colour profiles & RGB Colour space!). I am now going to "play" around with this printer and get some experience using it and PSE4. Down the track ( I am saving up) I will decide between the Epson R800/R1800 or the HP 8750.
Cheers

I wouldn't worry so much about a future purchase, by the time you're in the market again there will probably be all new models.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

Board index Equipment Printers New Printer - Your advice please.