Board index Equipment Printers Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???

Printers

Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???

wsolum

Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???

Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:43 pm

Is anyone using an Epson 2200? I'm interested in a medium format printer for creating artwork that won't fade to hang in the house. I've had a print made on a Stylus 9600 using UCM inks and Premium Lustre paper and the colors are rich and tasty (is that a valid term?), but the subject is not a photograph, rather some artwork done with the art history brush in PS. Will photos look as good? I also want a wide choice of papers (including canvas).

Is this the printer to do it, or are there better alternatives out there?

Thanks,
Wayne

woojink

Best alternative

Post Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:56 pm

The best alternative is the new Epson 4000... 17" using the same ink/head technology as the large wide format Epson printers such as the 7600.

vincentvalle

Trouble selecting best printer

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:43 pm

As Wayne, I've been researching printers for a while and cannot decide. I am looking for something that will print high quality prints, possibly a little bigger than 8x10. I have a coolpix 5700 and would like to be able to print and sell/gift framed photographs and art. I'm looking for suggestions that I can compare. I appreciate any suggestions or coaching. I'm not as savy with terms and printer knowledge as Wayne and many others so please go easy on me! :)

Sincerely,

Vincent Valle
http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle/

castledude

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:09 pm

Most of this is based on US prices and a lot of IMHO but here is what I found when I did the research recently.

Only brands worth looking at: HP, Canon, Epson

Print Quality (Best-Worst): HP - Canon - Epson
None are that bad (differences are not that great). HP has the extra black inks that can make a better print.

On wide format printers the Print quality is: Canon - Epson -HP
HP should make a wide format high quality version soon but not yet (and right now they trail badly on wide format). Canon has a new printer coming (9900 announced at PMA) that will probably be really good. I would expect Epson to soon follow with a new printer. Current generation Epson and Canon are good but about a generation back.

Longest lasting inks (longest - shortest): Epson (100yr) : HP (75 yr): Canon (25 year). All are when exposed to light and a lot of controversy over testing methods. Inks change, paper changes will make this vary and obviously nobody has really tested a print using real time data.

Speed (Fastest - Slowest): Canon - HP - Epson
Canon prints a page about 2x faster than the Epson, HP is a little faster than the Epson.

Base Price (small format) (Lowest to Highest): Canon - Epson - HP
List on HP is the same as the Epson but I have seen more Epsons discounted.

Price on all the wide formats are the same (about $500 list) Canon and Epson get discounted more than the HP.

Price per page (est): Canon $0.30-$0.75, Epson $0.50- $1.00, HP $1.20- $1.75.

Based on what I can get at local outlets (nothing tricky) real cartridges (no fakes or reloads), Good quality paper.

Most of the costs are because of the ink costs.

Canon and Epson use individual tanks, HP uses tanks with 3 color each.
HP requires print head/tank swapping if you want to print text this can increase cost per page due to print head cleaning between prints also if you mess up and print using the wrong cartrige you can mess up a color print or make an expensive text print.

---------------------------------------------
My conclusions:

For best archiving of prints: Epson
For lowest cost/fastest speed : Canon

HP just misses (cartridge swapping kills it for me) and in wide format they don't really compete.

What did I buy: Canon (950 standard format) and will probably buy the Canon 9900 (wide format) when it hits in May. Mostly this was cost rather than quality I fool around a lot with printing and keeping that cost down helps in other activities.

Epson did announce a cheap ($99) printer that I may pick up also just for it's ability to print CDs.

----------------------------------------------

By the way if you want to stick to 8x10 and want the absolute best print quality with about the price of the HP. Look at diesub printers like this one http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_rev ... _p440.html.

-----------------------------------------------

ckuhn55

2200 Epson

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:10 am

I own this fantastic printer. Usually sells between $650 to $ 699. 7 different inks and with correct paper they claim 100 yrs for photo to last. 13.X 19 is largest size to print. I suggest you do a web search for local area and visit several stores to see the final prints. Top Photography stores stock this printer and others. They usually have great samples and information. Do your homework to see what is best for you and your budget.
IN what area do you live? Good luck

wsolum

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:25 pm

I'm in Austin, Texas. I did buy the Epson 2200 and am very satisfied with it. I thought I'd be printing mostly on semi-gloss or luster but prints on matte papers look so good. (This shot for one http://www.pbase.com/image/26125766/medium.jpg looks nice on enhanced matte.) I'm anxious to try the watercolor and velvet fine-art.

Haven't mastered color-managed printing yet, but have a few more ideas I've gleaned from the web. Also need to profile the papers with my Monaco software.

I do wish it would print wider than 13" though.

ugot2bkdng

Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:51 pm

The new Epson goes to 17" I believe. Of course that is another $1K or so.

:D
Chuck

ckuhn55

Matte and other papers

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:34 am

I will keep you posted the next time CompUSA has all Photo papers including wide selection of Espon photo paper. The sale is 1/2 off...more later

ckuhn55

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:36 am

Opps forgot that last one was in NOV...
http://www.pbase.com/ckuhn55

wsolum

CompUSA 1/2 price papers.

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:59 pm

I'd appreciate that. I've also seen good everyday prices at inkjetart.com.

I want to try the 13" canvas rolls as well. I have a digitizer tablet and was using the Painter 8 demo to create "oil paintings" but never got good enough before the demo expired. What's a good tool for creating artistic interpretations of photos that doesn't take a fine-art degree?

ugot2bkdng

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:14 pm

What's a good tool for creating artistic interpretations of photos that doesn't take a fine-art degree?

That would depend on a lot of things. Like what other things would you want to do with the program, how much money are you willing to spend, do you want just "canned" filters or do you want to use your tablet to add your own brush strokes? I use Photoshop with a lot of actions and layers and Paintshop Pro. Painter was beyond my skill set. :D Some of my stuff here http://www.pbase.com/ugot2bkdng/innographx_challenges .

Perhaps a way to decide what suits you best is to participate in a forum that has a lot of participation. I like http://www.innographx.com/forum/ myself.
Chuck

wsolum

Photo-based art

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:54 pm

I'd like to have control over brush-strokes. I tried some plug-in filter for Photoshop and didn't like it at all. I took a peak at that forum and want to spend some time there when I get the chance. I've noticed references on dpreview to downloadable actions. Need to start experimenting.

I loved the pictures in your gallery. Especially the Pig Trail Barn.

ukexpat

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:22 pm

The Canon i9100 is a fine printer and worthy competition for the similar Epson models. The recently announced 8 ink model should theoretically be even better.

wsolum

Canon i9100

Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:43 pm

ukexpat -- just wanted to let you know you were already on my list of favorite artists. I really like that shot from Hong Kong of the two towers.

jcarter

Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:29 pm

I am getting a new iMac with the 20" screen very soon, so will need to upgrade my old printer and scanner.
The salesman recommended the Epson CX 5400, it is scanner and printer all in one unit. Its $99.
But I dont know anyone who has one, so I was hoping somebody here could give me some information on it. I dont print very often, I upload my pictures to Club Photo and have them print them. I do scan a lot though.
Thank you,
Jane
:?:

Next

Board index Equipment Printers Epson Stylus Photo 2200 vs ???