Board index Equipment Printers Need Paper Recommendations - Too Many Choices!

Printers

Need Paper Recommendations - Too Many Choices!

thedailyplanet

Need Paper Recommendations - Too Many Choices!

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:14 am

I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction with photo paper. There are way too many choices and I don't know where to start! I have a Canon Pro 9000 and will be printing 4*6, 5*7, 8*10 and occassionally larger.

Which papers and finishes should I use? Right now I'm shooting mostly landscapes, architecture, people (more street than portrait).

Any help appreciated! :shock:

canonian

Re: Need Paper Recommendations - Too Many Choices!

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Some of my favorite papers are Red Rivers Ultra Pro Satin 2.0, it mirrors Epson Luster but has a slightly shallower texture making it a little less reflective. I highly recommend this paper and its very inexpensive compared to most luster/semi gloss papers. You can buy 600 8.5x11 sheets for $148 or .25 cents a sheet.

Canons Photo Pro Glossy paper is hard to beat in a Canon printer, its not cheap! There is a big difference between the pro and plus papers. The Pro has richer colors. Its has the most gloss and richest colors when it comes to Canon ink. I use both Canon and Epson printers and I have used other brands but Canon really did it wit this paper. Its also very easy to scratch!

In the end you need to take one photo and print them the same on each paper. Over time you will begin to learn what might look best on what type of paper. The 2 I mentioned above should get you started and unless your taste is way different then mine you should be quite happy.

By the way I find that using the printers profile for its similar paper better than Red Rivers custom profile, you might want to try both. Buy a sample kit from RR they have other wonderful papers. The choices and brands are abundant as you have found out, try them!

halesr

Post Mon May 18, 2009 6:27 pm

I second the Red River recommendation. I print mostly sort of dreamy images on matte art papers. You can purchase sample packages and try some of the papers. They also are very helpful. You can email them with questions or call and they will help you with suggestions for papers. Great company to work with.--Rene

thomaspappas

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:38 pm

I am mainly using Canson Baryta Photographique paper for color and B&W. It is somewhere between a matt and a satin type finish and it is very bright. I have tried a lot of others including Canon Pro Platinum, Moab Lasal, and Lumijet Photo White Satin by Hahnemuhle.

Board index Equipment Printers Need Paper Recommendations - Too Many Choices!