Board index Equipment Printers Very dull colours with Epson R2400

Printers

Very dull colours with Epson R2400

chaseroonie

Very dull colours with Epson R2400

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi everyone
I've just bought an Epson R2400 for large format printing for portfolios and the like and am finding that all the prints coming off it have very muted and dull colours - nothing like those i see on screen. I have up until now used a Canon Pixma ip5200 and the colour reproduction is great. All my screens are calibrated correctly. I use CS2 and have tried "Let Printer determine Colours" and "Let Photoshop determine Colours" with Printer profile as "Working RGB" and also with the ICC profile "SPR2400 Premium Glossy" (the Paper I am using), yet still the prints come out looking as though they've faded in the sun really badly. I realise one way out of this is to get some printer profiling done but before i spend money on doing that i wondered if anyone could offer and guidelines from their experience as to how to get better colours?
Big thanks in advance,
Charlie

stuart_bolin

Re: Very dull colours with Epson R2400

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:01 am

Epson Printer Drivers are notorious for resetting to defaults (let printer determine color). Everytime you prepare to print an image, check printer preferences and make sure they say let Photoshop (or whatever software you use) determine colors. At the same time make sure the (hotoshop or whatever you use) is set to be controlling the color. Sometimes the printer driver resets even during the same print session. I prefer to have the driver show the preview before authorizing printing to make sure settings are giving correct color and orientation.

vglass

Re: Very dull colours with Epson R2400

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Soft proof the image in Photoshop and compare this with the "ideal" image that you have prepared in the RGB space. To do this duplicate the image, display both on the screen, use Ctrl+y on the duplicate, choose the profile to plan to with the printer, say "SPR2400 Premium Glossy" and make sure you have simulate paper (I don't remember the exact phrase) on as well as black point. Compare the two images. If the colors are dull in the soft proof then alter the images (using layers) until it is as close as you can get to the original (ideal) image. The duplicate is now the file you print, and you should save it and include pertinent info about paper, printer, and profile in the file name.

If soft proofing does not work then confirm (as the last responder indicated) the print setting in the driver: The correct paper must be specified, color management must be off. In the Photosh0p print dialog Photoshop MUST manage the printing and the correct Photoshop color space must specified (some form of RGB) and the correct printer profile must be specified (in this case "SPR2400 Premium Glossy" ). And do arrange for a preview before it prints. By the way, the preview for some drivers is not very accurate, but give a general idea.

If this does not work, perhaps try with a different paper and see if the colors are dull (this is a treading water option, since the colors should still be dull, but if they are not it gives you something to think about).

Board index Equipment Printers Very dull colours with Epson R2400