Board index PBase News New Feature: Statistics Pages

News

New Feature: Statistics Pages

chiles400

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:06 pm

This feature has worked for me in the past but now ignores whole galleries or list only two of many pictures in a gallery. What's happening? I am trying to get lists of pictures in galleries.

thanks

John

jchambers

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:40 pm

I like the idea of these new stats, but there still needs to be a lot of work, particularly since our previous options are now banned.

Keep in mind Pbase, some people maybe trying to make a living with their photography at pbase, and stats are important to show what is popular and what isn't.

One thing that really cheeses me off is the listing on the right hand pane that just shows the stats for the last two days for photos and galleries. ??? Sorry, but what use is this? What I need to know is the stats of photos and galleries on a variable basis, either by day, week, or since time forgotten.

Please put time and effort into this pbase. You stopped us from third party stats that done a great job and left us with a very limited (although nice for what is is) version.

Photography helps pay my bills, and maybe my sole income soon. I need proper stats. I want to find it here, but if I can't I'll go elsewhere when my credits run out in three months.
In order to save bandwidth, I no longer have a signiture.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:22 am

jchambers wrote:Photography helps pay my bills, and maybe my sole income soon. I need proper stats. I want to find it here, but if I can't I'll go elsewhere when my credits run out in three months.

You remind me of a little kid selling lemonade in front of Walmart and getting pissed they don't advertise to their customers that you're outside in the parking lot.

I give you one thing, you've got real chutzpa to come on this site demanding they help you with your paycheque.

jchambers

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:54 am

pinemikey wrote:
jchambers wrote:Photography helps pay my bills, and maybe my sole income soon. I need proper stats. I want to find it here, but if I can't I'll go elsewhere when my credits run out in three months.

You remind me of a little kid selling lemonade in front of Walmart and getting pissed they don't advertise to their customers that you're outside in the parking lot.

I give you one thing, you've got real chutzpa to come on this site demanding they help you with your paycheque.

Your analogy is so flawed I'm almost embarrassed to even read in. However, let me remind you on a few points here.

1) I am a paying customer to pbase, and due to the size of my gallery, quite a reasonable paying customer.

2) A service I was using on pbase was taken away without notifying me, the paying customer

3) In it's replacement, a lesser functioning service was offered.

Now, using your brain, please explain the connection with a kid (non paying customer) outside Walmart? What connection does this kid have with Walmart? What connection do I have with pbase.

A better analogy would be a third party business was paying Walmart to have a stand outside the hypermarket. Walmart offered space for the paying party to display and sell their products. A business deal was made and both the third party business and Walmart profited from this arrangement.

In the past the third party business used his own stand to display his products. It was custom made and perfectly suited his needs. Then one day, Walmart, without notifying him, removed the stand and replaced it with a generic Walmart stand. Although this stand works as such, it is not as flexible and suitable for the needs of the third party business.

Considering across the road there is another hypermarket that offers the third party use of their forecourt and allows the use of the custom made stand, this gentleman has the right to inform Walmart that he is not happy with the arrangement, and if the new stand can not be custom configured a bit better, he has the option of moving across the road.

Quite simple really isn't it. I certainly hope you are not running your own business, something as fundamental as this should not allude you.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:17 pm

jchambers wrote:
pinemikey wrote:

Your analogy is so flawed I'm almost embarrassed to even read in. However, let me remind you on a few points here.

1) I am a paying customer to pbase, and due to the size of my gallery, quite a reasonable paying customer.

2) A service I was using on pbase was taken away without notifying me, the paying customer

3) In it's replacement, a lesser functioning service was offered.

Now, using your brain, please explain the connection with a kid (non paying customer) outside Walmart? What connection does this kid have with Walmart? What connection do I have with pbase.

A better analogy would be a third party business was paying Walmart to have a stand outside the hypermarket. Walmart offered space for the paying party to display and sell their products. A business deal was made and both the third party business and Walmart profited from this arrangement.

In the past the third party business used his own stand to display his products. It was custom made and perfectly suited his needs. Then one day, Walmart, without notifying him, removed the stand and replaced it with a generic Walmart stand. Although this stand works as such, it is not as flexible and suitable for the needs of the third party business.

Considering across the road there is another hypermarket that offers the third party use of their forecourt and allows the use of the custom made stand, this gentleman has the right to inform Walmart that he is not happy with the arrangement, and if the new stand can not be custom configured a bit better, he has the option of moving across the road.

Quite simple really isn't it. I certainly hope you are not running your own business, something as fundamental as this should not allude you.
1. Whoopdeedo...you are so financially involved with pbase! You must own stock? No? Are you a partner in their business decisions? No? You're a customer like the rest of us...which leads us to...

2. According to the admins, the javascript that people like you and even I were using was deemed abuse by admins...it was something they let us bring in, but some idiots had to go ahead and abuse it.

3. They didn't HAVE to give us anything. If you actually read their posts they are working on adding some more features to the stats page...I know, I know it isn't quick enough but it will get here when it gets here.

I don't have a MBA but most logical people can see that the features on this site have been growing at quite an accelerated pace. I'm confident that the features you DEMAND will be here shortly.

By the way, bub...if you can keep taking images like you have already I don't think you should have to worry about stats. Just talk to Sheila...the only stats that true professionals can accurately count on are your bank statements.

jchambers

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 pm

pinemikey wrote: 1. Whoopdeedo...you are so financially involved with pbase! You must own stock? No? Are you a partner in their business decisions? No? You're a customer like the rest of us...which leads us to...

:lol: You really handled that well.

pinemikey wrote:2. According to the admins, the javascript that people like you and even I were using was deemed abuse by admins...it was something they let us bring in, but some idiots had to go ahead and abuse it.

Did I criticize the admins for their decision to lockout java-scripts? No. So, why bring this up? My point was that their only solution does not cover my needs, as a paying customer. I have the right to make this point.

pinemikey wrote:3. They didn't HAVE to give us anything. If you actually read their posts they are working on adding some more features to the stats page...I know, I know it isn't quick enough but it will get here when it gets here.

Market realities show they do have to give us something. I don't know why this is so hard to see, but a business cannot survive if they offer no services :lol: Seriously. I don't know where you come from, but we are paying customers. If you took a roll of film to a photolab and they took your money and gave you nothing saying "Oh, we don't HAVE to give you anything", I think you'd be pissed off.

Pbase's primary business role in photo hosting. Of cause, they can make this as basic or as advanced as they like. But if their services are not up to scratch they may loose business. Personally I am quite happy in general with pbase. I have been supporting (as it's called) for years, longer than you I might add and I was even paying when it was a free service in the form of a donation - so please forgive me if I find your pedestal a little pointless.

However, my point was valid, and a service I was using is no longer there. I was polite about it, so I simply don't understand why you are getting so worked up here. Do you act like this in real life situations, or just under the cover of the internet?

pinemikey wrote:I don't have a MBA but most logical people can see that the features on this site have been growing at quite an accelerated pace. I'm confident that the features you DEMAND will be here shortly.

I didn't demand. Unless you have problems reading, I was simply pointing out how important that feature was to me. And I am fully in my rights to also point out that if a company doesn't provide a service that their competition does, I may have to move to the competition. Your previously flawed analogy shows that maybe you have problems understanding what's going on around you.

pinemikey wrote:By the way, bub...if you can keep taking images like you have already I don't think you should have to worry about stats. Just talk to Sheila...the only stats that true professionals can accurately count on are your bank statement.

Thankyou for your comments on my photography. However, I find the stats were of great importance. They showed me not only which were the most popular photos to view (which gives an indication of what I should shoot more of to sell) but they also showed how well my keywords were, and who has been linking my gallery. Google searches were brought up showing how people found me, and this helps me improve my key words, which is a vital way of improving exposure.

This was a seriously important feature to me, and quite frankly, I have my rights to express this without being attacked by someone who has nothing to do with where my money goes. If you disagree with me, you could say so whilst being polite instead of ranting off with insults like you have.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:20 pm

Sorry if I insulted but you did seem to be a little petulant about wanting the stats improved.

jchambers

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:10 pm

pinemikey wrote:Sorry if I insulted but you did seem to be a little petulant about wanting the stats improved.

Thankyou. Well, if I seemed captious and morose, it was because I felt I had lost a feature which I believed was very important to me.

But to be honest, that was between me and the staff at Pbase. They are grownups pinemikey, and can defend themselves without the need of you jumping in to throw insults at me. I certainly would have respected your opinion if you disagreed with me, but there simply was no need to say to me the things you did. Yours was a personal attack, my grievance was with a feature as a paying customer, it was not an attack against Slug and his team.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:57 pm

Again sorry if you feel that way. I'm not defending Pbase. I read your post on the forum and made a sort of joke about your "requests". If you are going to continue to contribute to these forums you will need to get a thicker skin just as I need to consider that the poster may have a thin skin.

If it is any consolation I am the first person, if not using then by introducing to these forums, the add-free stats. It was a good chance that my thread "advertising" started the abuses. I'm still using sitemeter...only on my directories, but so far it hasn't been deactivated. It could give you a little bit of what you're looking for...probably not as good as what you want but somewhere along the way...you can find it here.

I also mention that again what you want from Pbase they have stated they are aware of and I honestly feel they are working towards providing.

djwixx

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:37 pm

Anyone for a lemonade?

jackcnd

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:58 pm

jchambers - amazing images in your gallery.

How is pBase for selling photos, how do you promote your images?
I've always wondered what the market is like for selling images online?

jchambers

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:37 pm

jackcnd wrote:jchambers - amazing images in your gallery.

How is pBase for selling photos, how do you promote your images?
I've always wondered what the market is like for selling images online?

I'm just starting to sell on pbase. To be honest, my gallery here started more as personal photo album, but sales started to creep in. Now, I am planning to trim the gallery to just my best shots and expand it.

I used to use the pbase gallery, and the stat counter to get an idea on what were my most popular photo's and submit these ones to stock agencies. Working it this way has increased my sales ratio quite a bit. Before that, I submitted more photo's, but sold a smaller percentage.

I never know what photos of mine are my most popular. Usually, the ones I think were best sell the least. So, keeping a good eye on what people are viewing the most allowed me to know what photos attracted the most attention.

I also want to sell more privately here as the 50% (average) commission from stock agencies really cuts into my margins, especially as tax has to come out of the remaining 50% and where I live and my current day job + photo sales puts me in the highest tax bracket, so another 50% comes out as well.

There are plenty of pbase sellers that do much better than me. Sheila posted a good thread here, and I've been taking her advice for my pbase sales.
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=21604&highlight=

At the end of the day, I'd like to be selling 4 ways.

Microstock (for volume of RF images)
Macrostock (MR images)
Pbase (RF + MR images)
Commission work.

At the moment, most of my sales come from commission & stock agencies. But I would like to move my stock sales more to a personal site like pbase (or others if needed).

jypsee

well... now I'm not so sure about the feature

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:10 pm

apparently, your edit "clicks" count in the aggregate views
Guestbook, profile page, stats pages themselves for example. Possibly editing pages are counted as part of the aggregate but not as part of an individual image/gallery, can't remember.

-slug

(1) Whatever the explanation, the difference in stats (461 !!) for "Tues June 6" is very impressive (reproduced below) Exclamation Exclamation

Tues June 6:
-Aggregate = 467
-Most Viewed Images = 1+1+1+1 = 4.
-Most Viewed Galleries = 1+1 = 2.
>>>> A BIG difference of 467-6 = 461 <<<<

(2) Note:
My guestbook has about 3-4 entries.
If I am logged in and access a page or edit something then this does not (ordinarlily) contribute to any hit counts in a gallery or image.

(3) I checked the associated help page but it is unclear as to exactly how the stats are calculated. I was innocently expecting image and gallery hits (implied by the accompanying panes on right hand side of stats page).

and slug replies:
Those 461 page views were all you. Apparently you did a lot of editing that day.

what good are these numbers, then??

goislands

Stats URL to user not logged in...

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:08 pm

I observe that if I enter a URL to a user, which is not logged in (I have 4 user names with
pBase) than stats displays full statistics of the logged in user without any error message.

Hoever, if I am not logged in, as expected error message appears "You must login to
view your statistics."

Is this a desired behavior or a bug?

Thomas

Previous

Board index PBase News New Feature: Statistics Pages