Board index PBase News New Feature: Slideshows

News

New Feature: Slideshows

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:20 pm

sheila wrote:My slide show stalls, speeds up and then the captions do not match the image and then stalls again.

Can you link to this slideshow? Also, what browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, or something else?). And are you on dial-up or broadband?

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:33 pm

pinemikey wrote:Actually, the feature I like is that the slideshow code is in the description field of a regular CSS stylesheet, allowing me to change the look...I changed the vertical height of the image display to accomodate my laptop display and eliminated all the extraneous text which clutters (in my opinion) the slideshow...and added links to the rest of my galleries.

Good point. For any other CSS stylers here are the id's of the slideshow containers:
  • #title: contains title of image, link to image and the counter
  • #my_title: this is the link (and title text) to the image
  • #counter: this contains the counter
  • #the_image: this is the actual image element
  • #footer: this holds the text that says "click to pause"

So to hide the counter, add this to your CSS:
Code: Select all
#counter {
   display: none;
}

To set the default height of images, add this (please note that this will force smaller images to this height as well causing a "stretch" effect):
#the_image {
   height: 500px
}

You may find success using max-height instead of height, but I don't believe it is supported in all browsers.[/list]

zevs

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks ctstone!

So for those who like me don't need to see the title and such above the image, putting the following somewhere in the body of your CSS, works fine to take it away.

#my_title {
}

Zevs

http://www.pbase.com/zevs

ekchua

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Great new feature! Ran flawlessly.
Your efforts are much appreciated.

A suggestion - any possibility of having the option for the slideshow to autosize the image after taking into account the title and slides x of xx sequence info?

Thanks again!

sheila

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:09 pm

ctstone wrote:
sheila wrote:My slide show stalls, speeds up and then the captions do not match the image and then stalls again.

Can you link to this slideshow? Also, what browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, or something else?). And are you on dial-up or broadband?

Here's the gallery http://www.pbase.com/sheila

I use IE, and I'm on broadband. I am at work at the moment (which is also on broadband but which is usually slower than my home PC) and it works fine now. The problems I had on my home PC was that one image would stay on for about 40 seconds, then it would proceed but the second image would only half open before it went to another image. By that time, the captions did not match the particular image.

Cheers
Sheila

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

sheila

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:10 pm

sheila wrote:
ctstone wrote:

Here's the gallery http://www.pbase.com/sheila/faces

I use IE, and I'm on broadband. I am at work at the moment (which is also on broadband but which is usually slower than my home PC) and it works fine now. The problems I had on my home PC was that one image would stay on for about 40 seconds, then it would proceed but the second image would only half open before it went to another image. By that time, the captions did not match the particular image.

Cheers
Sheila

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

dennismullen

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:38 pm

I find it very irritating that my pictures are by default shown at the Large size instead of Original. To compound this the smaller sizes are rendered at a very poor quality making them and the slideshow useless.

serenab

You guys are great

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:58 pm

Just when I think this site can't get any better, IT DOES! I'm still excited over the stats, and now slideshows too! You guys are great. Thanks for all the hard work, and providing us with such a fantastic, professional site. :D

maria263

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:05 pm

Well done, well done, pBase. Once again, you have come up with just what was needed.

What a great site. (I tell everyone!)

More power to your elbow....translates as "keep up the good work".

andrys

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:18 pm

ctstone wrote:Good point. For any other CSS stylers here are the id's of the slideshow containers:
  • #title: contains title of image, link to image and the counter
  • #my_title: this is the link (and title text) to the image
  • #counter: this contains the counter
  • #the_image: this is the actual image element
  • #footer: this holds the text that says "click to pause"

So to hide the counter, add this to your CSS:
#counter {
}

To set the default height of images, add this (please note that this will force smaller images to this height as well causing a "stretch" effect):
#the_image {
   height: 500px
}

You may find success using max-height instead of height, but I don't believe it is supported in all browsers.[/list]

Wow. Can't tell you how great it is to have someone who's
working on this talk back to us with good info.

I think PBase must have had some kind of cash infusion
recently, and whatever the reason is, it is a real boon to have
you folks working on new features and then discussing them
with us, explaining how they work and taking and giving
suggestions. Good stuff.

isabel95

Re: New Feature: Slideshows

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:15 am

Have just realized that in some galleries "Tree View/Thumbnails/Slideshow" doesn't always show so I can't resume a slideshow in the middle of a gallery if I've paused it. I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.4

Isabel

ctstone wrote:We are happy to announce that the long-awaited slideshow is now an option on the gallery page (check the top right corner of every gallery page).

This is a Javascript slideshow, which means that there may be some incompatibilities with certain web browsers. As of this writing, the slideshow has been tested in the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Opera.

As of now, there are no slideshow controls (simpler is easier, right??). But we may offer controls in the future.

Please respond here with any bugs or feature requests. For bugs, please include your browser name and version.

nicthe

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Great job pbase fellas~
one suggestion: if we are able to change the duration of the slides would be nice.

Thanks!
my trips memories:
http://www.pbase.com/nicthe/trips
my dining diary in hong kong:
http://www.pbase.com/nicthe/taste

frsimon

Slideshow

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:40 pm

This is worth the wait. PBase really is the very tops now! Many thanks.

menno

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:09 pm

Great new slideshow delays of 1, 3, 5 or 10 seconds!!!! AWESOME!!

thanks so much!!

ctstone
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Use new thread

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:22 pm

I'm redirecting this conversation to a new thread to seperate the versions

So check out the announcement at http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=21984

:D

Previous

Board index PBase News New Feature: Slideshows