Board index PBase News New front page

News

New front page

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Sun May 20, 2007 4:03 am

floradoragirl wrote:I like the new look very much.
I'm not at home at the moment, so logged in from a strange computer and for a moment thought..."where am I? What's gone wrong?" :-)

:D @ Rosie

The new page is very good for me.
Keep it up!
8) Adal

erichmangl

Post Sun May 20, 2007 5:40 am

clickaway wrote:
In truth, the random galleries shown on the old front page were pretty stale and hadn't been updated for ages.

"featured topic" seems to work the same old way, 25 reloads of mainpage show:

colors XXXX
new york city XXX
Invertebrates XX
voyages XXXXX
Architecture, doors & windows XXX
flowers XXX
alphabets XXX
macro: insects XX
birds X

pnd1

Keep it up

Post Mon May 21, 2007 2:40 am

The new front page is a huge step forward - clean, emphatic, and professional, and very simple to navigate. I particularly look forward to the revamp of our profile pages you mentioned. Some people on pbase have had the skill to be able to revamp their own profile pages, but most of us can't, and are stuck with the clunky design we have to endure at present. It will be a wonderful thing if we all get new profile pages that are as well designed as the new pbase homepage. Thanks, Slug, for investing in progressive change.

Phil Douglis

keegan540

Post Wed May 23, 2007 11:31 am

Love the new front page. Much easier on the eyes.

alexeig

I have mixed feelings about the new design

Post Sun May 27, 2007 10:40 am

From one side the look itself is more modern and appealing

From the other side I feel that it provides less varied viewing experience and less possibilities for exposing of my own work.

In this respect the random selection from the popular galleries is much more useful. Right now I see basically the same topics and the same leading images when I open Pbase. For example

http://www.pbase.com/firstbrook/image/71423100

is a nice image but it has nothing which warrants its appearance every fifth opening. The same regards the leading image in architecture topic and so on. The result is that for a viewer it is less likely to see something new and refreshing. For a poster this means less exposure of his/her work to a larger audience.

In my case this change resulted in about 70% drop in visitors to my galleries. If this persists it would be difficult to resist temptation to find another venues for exposure of my work.

I think that the designers should find ways to more serious rotation of the exposed galleries on the basis of popularity while maintaining the pleasing aethsetic effects of the new design.

kaipu

Post Sun May 27, 2007 4:08 pm

IS ALMOST A CARBON COPY OF FLICKR HOME PAGE..... :-(
Life is what you make it......
http://www.pbase.com/kaipu

erichmangl

Re: I have mixed feelings about the new design

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:26 pm

alexeig wrote:
I think that the designers should find ways to more serious rotation of the exposed galleries ...

it would be also nice if someone cares about the front-page a bit more, 47th show+tell contest is already over

tim_arbon

Hom Page and navigation

Post Mon May 28, 2007 9:35 am

I'm really enjoying the new home page and the featured galleries - so much so that I've changed my own IE favourites link back from my profile page to the real home page (I changed it to my profile page before because when I started in late 2005 I found the navigation difficult in PBASE and decided to simplify it with my own list of IE favourite links. Also I didn't find the featured galleries as interesting as the ones which are featured now).

Thanks very much Slug and Chris - really well done!

srijith

Post Mon May 28, 2007 9:46 am

This is great news indeed. Thanks for the much required work on this Chris! Waiting for the rest of the features to open up.

ray_akey

Post Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:33 am

Hey Slug and Co.,

The new look ws pleasant surprise when I logged out from one of my pBase accounts to sign-in and upload to the other.

As soon as I noticed it, I came here.

Good job! It will be nice to see the other pages follow.

ray_akey

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:13 pm

kaipu wrote:IS ALMOST A CARBON COPY OF FLICKR HOME PAGE..... :-(

..and you need glasses.

Previous

Board index PBase News New front page