Board index PBase News support for statcounter.com

News

support for statcounter.com

ltobias

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm

andrys wrote:
ltobias wrote:The code on my pages are gone. The information are still on my account page. I tried to update my account, but this doesn't help. Still no code in the source of my site.

Leif

PBase mgmt is probably asleep, so I'll ask a couple of questions.

Are you sure you entered the exact numbers to match what Statcounter
has for you? If they're at all off, nothing will happen.

-- Also make sure that there are no trailing spaces after your numbers.
-- And that everything's in lower case

I do see no statcounter code from pbase on your main page or
your best images gallery. So, that is odd, since slug had checked your
page earlier. Maybe you made a change after that?

You could regenerate the code at Statcounter for your project and make
sure all numbers you get then match what you put into your pbase account
page.
Again, make sure there no trialing spaces after the numbers
and that everything's in lower case.

When I did it, it took only a couple of minutes before it started working
again. But it can take up to half an hour, I've heard.

It -could- be that the additions they made to 3rd party stats boxes
changed something that affected statcounter, but it' less likely...

Anyway, try that.

Don't ask me. The codes are back and statscounter works again. :)

It worked yesterday (after Slug's reply in this thread). Some hours later it stopped counting without changing something in my account. First I thought it was my fault, because I upgraded my statscounter account. So I looked if my install code was changed. But it it was still the same. This morning I looked in the source of some of my pbase pages and the code was removed.

Now the codes are back and it's working. Maybe Slug and the PBase team found the problem.

Leif

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:37 pm

ltobias-
No it wasn't your fault.
I accidentally reverted the change I made to fix your problem in the first place. Now it should be fixed permanently.

-slug

luc_vn

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Thanks, this is great !!!

Kind Regards,

Luc VN

ltobias

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:17 pm

slug wrote:ltobias-
No it wasn't your fault.
I accidentally reverted the change I made to fix your problem in the first place. Now it should be fixed permanently.

-slug

Thank you for all the work the last days. I was so angry after JS stopped working. Now it's better than before.

Leif

s4b

Thanks!

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:53 am

Thank you so much for your effort. It's very cool getting a better idea of who/where people are coming from. I appreciate this service, thanks for allowing us to use it.

mikealex

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:07 pm

I LOVE the support for statcounter. I didn't bother setting up stats before, because I didn't want to copy the code into all my galleries. Now that it's so simple, I'll be using it.

I have one suggestion though. I'm not interested in my own visits to my galleries. I've excluded my home IP address from statcounter, but it still counts when I visit from other places (work for example). Also, my home IP address doesn't change often, but it's not guaranteed to be static. Could you omit the statcounter code when I'm logged in and visiting my own galleries?
...Mike
http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
Trying to work my way up to rank amateur

andrys

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:08 am

mikealex wrote:I have one suggestion though. I'm not interested in my own visits to my galleries. I've excluded my home IP address from statcounter, but it still counts when I visit from other places (work for example). Also, my home IP address doesn't change often, but it's not guaranteed to be static. Could you omit the statcounter code when I'm logged in and visiting my own galleries?

Holy Moly, Batman! I doubt they'll be doing this!

In the meantime, Statcounter has a 2nd way of not-counting you,
and that's the cookie way. Take a look at that one too.

Some people have changing IP's at home, so the cookie way is the way to go, probably. You can put all our projects into a cookie.

I imagine it's the same cookie no matter which computer you want to put it on.

http://my9.statcounter.com/project/standard/block.php?

andrys

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:08 am

andrys wrote:
mikealex wrote:I have one suggestion though. I'm not interested in my own visits to my galleries. I've excluded my home IP address from statcounter, but it still counts when I visit from other places (work for example). Also, my home IP address doesn't change often, but it's not guaranteed to be static. Could you omit the statcounter code when I'm logged in and visiting my own galleries?

In the meantime, Statcounter has a 2nd way of not-counting you,
and that's the cookie way. Take a look at that one too.

Some people have changing IP's at home, so the cookie way is the way
to go, probably. You can put all our projects into one cookie.

I imagine it's the same cookie no matter which computer you want to put it on.

http://my9.statcounter.com/project/standard/block.php?

mikealex

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:43 am

andrys wrote:

Thanks for the tip on using cookies to block the stat counter, I'll look into that.

But, why do you doubt they will implement my suggestion? The code already knows when you are visiting your own galleries, because it doesn't count those visits in the PBase stats, and it also controls other aspects of the page such as displaying private galleries and comments. It seems to me that it should be fairly easy to extend that to control when it should insert the statcounter code.
...Mike

andrys

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:13 pm

mikealex wrote:
andrys wrote:
mikealex wrote:But, why do you doubt they will implement my suggestion? The code already knows when you are visiting your own galleries, because it doesn't count those visits in the PBase stats, and it also controls other aspects of the page such as displaying private galleries and comments. It seems to me that it should be fairly easy to extend that to control when it should insert the statcounter code.

Because it seems to me that it should be fairly easy for pbase
to put a simple non-conditional statement into our Guestbooks
to WARN the poor guests that everything they type in to us will
NEVER be read by us.
They LET people type in the box and for some reason won't bother
to just put *one* sentence there to let guests know at all that
what they type will just vanish into neverland.

That is the simplest thing imaginable to do, and it's very important
to many of us that people who take the time to write to us do not
consider us just rude for never acknowledging that they wrote us
when we can't possibly see what they wrote nor even know that
they did. Never mind that guestbooks used to be the way people would write to ask about using your photos.

(And for others here, yes, I've added a statement to my guestbook
and re-state it when it's not at the top anymore.)

andrys

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:18 pm

mikealex wrote:
andrys wrote:
mikealex wrote: . . . The code already knows when you are visiting your own galleries, because it doesn't count those visits in the PBase stats....

Slug has responded some time ago somewhere in these forums
that the stats for one general section (not the daily hit detail columns)
are always higher because these include all our accesses to edit
our galleries.

mikealex

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:03 pm

Ok, but regardless of the PBase counters, your gallery pages are still different when you view them then when someone else does (appearance of the edit button). This means that PBase knows when it is you visiting your own gallery, which means it should be very easy to not put in the statscounter code when you are looking at your own photos.
...Mike

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:30 pm

I have the impression my Statcounter has some periods of blackout and ceases to count.
But if I insert the codes again in my account edit, SC starts again to count.
Is it possible?
Thanks
8) Adal

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 pm

Seems also that my other settings, such as who can post, bar colour etc CHANGE when I re-enter the Statcounter codes.
8) Adal

ourlol

Is Statcounter down?

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:25 am

Hi,

I've been trying to access Statcounter since yesterday afternoon (some 15 hours has elapsed now) to no avail. The page doesn't load at all - I am just getting a white screen. I have tried different browsers e.g. AOL, IE, Firefox and the same thing happens.

I can't get onto the forums, contact us section... anything at all. I've even tried to access the website by looking at cached copies but that doesn't help either.

Worth noting is that I installed Kaspersky Anti Virus software yesterday, but it is set up to specifically allow Statcounter as a trusted URL.

Any ideas ~ all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News support for statcounter.com