Board index PBase News PBase Updates

News

PBase Updates

digitalbcon

Re: PBase Updates

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:45 pm

nooutlet wrote:I actually tried to post what was going on earlier today, but I couldn't log in either. The forums should have been fine yesterday, so I wonder if you maybe saw there were problems on the 29th and today and figured they were constant throughout.
Anyway, I'm not sure what the issue was on the 29th, but on the 31st the problem was that it couldn't get the login information from the main PBase account.

NoOutlet

I actually had tried constantly throughout the weekend and was unable to access the Pbase webpage. I assumed that it was widespread but had come to a preliminary conclusion that it was not widespread as I saw through the Alphausers group that blog entries were silent on the matter and they usually aire their difficulties almost immediately. So, I guess that is the nature of this woldwideweb!

shawnkraus

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Hello Nooutlet,
I was under the impression that the original purpose of this board was to keep the membership somewhat informed about what items are being worked on or what is on the burner. It was nice of Ckirby and Nkirby to be welcomed aboard awhile back, what is it that they are programming and what is it I as a paying customer can expect by the end of the year if anything or by the end of next year if anything???? Yes, the people on the boards have the option to stylize their own pages, yes the forums are nice. Most people work all day and have family to attend to, they do not readily have the time to wrap their minds around CSS or HTML. Has pbase taken a look into options to get around the javascript volnerability or is javascript gone for good? It would be nice to place advertising on an individual site as well as some interesting widgets. For the "AVERAGE" person it seems to me pbase is just a place to upload and view ones images with about ten outdated page styles to choose from with a forum to gripe about pbase and make requests for items that may or may not ever be completed it comes equiped with a search feature on the galleries page that works when it wants to or sometimes works with only one word. The search problem has been here as long as I have been here. I picture Slug and Emily sitting on a pile of cash in the Bahamas laughing about us suckers that bought into pbase and I feel sorry that you are the go between that gets hit with all these complaints. It would be nice to see Slug or Emily make their presence known once in awhile to let the people here know that they really still exist and that they are concerned with the customers requests.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Hey Shawn,
ckirby doesn't want me to share what he's working on. nkirby is working on updating all the pages to use a new internal system, I believe. I expect that there will be new things by the end of the year. Maybe a new mail system or fixing the exif thing. You can expect RADICAL changes by the end of next year at least.
Shawn, people who "work all day and have family to attend to" find time to research their hobby. If they want to do good photography, they research technique and camera hardware and analyze their own methods and the photographs which resulted from those methods. If they want to display their photographs on the internet as an extension of their hobby, it's in their best interest to research about how to do that. That will include learning HTML and CSS if they don't like the look of what's available by default. Trust me, they aren't terribly difficult languages to learn and there are more resources for researching those two languages than you can shake a stick at. The bottom line is that no matter how many style templates we provide, chances are slim that one of them will be exactly what you want. So you end up settling for a style that isn't quite right because you don't want to learn about something that is directly related to what you want to do. Also there is a forum for discussing and sharing CSS and HTML tips and many people provide easy access to their most requested styles. Of course, if you want to tweak the code you get from someone else, you'll still have to learn something. In my opinion the few and very basic templates are great because they provide a nice beginner tutorial. Mess around with them a little bit and you'll get the idea of what's going on. Then you'll be able to figure out how to set up your page the way you want it. Not only that, but learning HTML and CSS could be good for you in things other than your PBase site. Maybe you get the idea to set up a different website that is unrelated to photography. You'll already have some experience writing webpages.
Members getting javascript into their pages is the vulnerability. From what I understand, there isn't a good systematic way of parsing out the dangerous javascript.
I'm not sure where you're getting your "'AVERAGE' person", but they don't seem very interested in how they display their photographs. That being the case, PBase has a small number of choices for them so they don't have to go through lots of trouble figuring out which one is best. Why are they griping on the forum? They aren't pleased that they were able to upload their photographs and have them automatically displayed in a webpage? Obviously, every request from every person isn't going to be accepted and those that are accepted will not be immediately available.
You're right. The search is unreliable. No one is working on it right now, but it's on the to-do list.
Your cynicism about Slug and Emily is pretty silly. Slug is in the office every day. Lately he's been kept busy trying to figure out how to fix the slowness some members are experiencing.
I don't mind talking on the forum. Hearing complaints doesn't inherently bother me. Only when the complaint is about me and doesn't seem justified will it bother me.

NoOutlet

laprade

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:16 am

I hope I didnt miss it somewhere, but it would be nice for people to order prints right from the site in pbase. But my biggest question is when will he have the disabled right click on the mouse so people cant take your photos like Smug-mug?

Thanks Scott

dougj

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:47 am

laprade wrote:I hope I didnt miss it somewhere, but it would be nice for people to order prints right from the site in pbase. But my biggest question is when will he have the disabled right click on the mouse so people cant take your photos like Smug-mug?

Thanks Scott

Scott - there are threads related to image protection in the Questions & Answers forum, here is the latest.
http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38767

This is a common topic, if you scroll through a few pages of threads in Q&A you'll find some useful information.

Printing is a different story.....a bit delayed this one is.

barbara_heide

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:12 pm

you could eventually get some inspiration from the "redbubble" community. They seem to have an excellent system, which even allows the photographer earning some money out of the prints...
look at this : <redbubble.com

cheers
Barbara

gpaai

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 pm

Very cool! :D
I love photoshopography.......

samsite999

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:17 am

why is there no forum page now were people can post issues relating to the forum?

in short im proper fed up of the downtime, slowness and general stability issues, i have about 1.5gb of images hosted with you chaps that go though forums and my other artwork. its taken me 15 minits to open my inbox in my gallery...and still loading....

just for me to know your having issues would be ok, just a status update would be nice. this is the last time im making the effort to post to show my annoyance, next time ill be taking my money and images else were

barbara_heide

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 am

it has never ever been that bad...
The only thing working is the forum, but no information about what's going on and for how long that might last...
cheers
barbara

gsds4me

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:34 am

I'm pleased you posted this as now I know it's not just my computer. How frustrating. Do they normally post when something is wrong? I don't visit the forums often.

Paulette

michaelsv

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:51 am

And as usual dead silence from administration, so talkative when explaining how great they working to keep PBase runing
30 minutes waiting for i.pbase.com to load profile and counting......

mikelong

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:34 pm

I think that's called "stringing them along..."

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:37 pm

michaelsv wrote:And as usual dead silence from administration, so talkative when explaining how great they working to keep PBase runing

I have to admit to being gobsmacked when I came on this morning and found that there was no explanation / apology / information about the site being down for several hours last night my time, especially when that was the second full-on outage over the last few days.

Oh wait... no I wasn't...

flemmingbo

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm

yeah I wasn't exactly surprised either to see no explanation of 4.5 hours of downtime. Well the explanation is either a server or network crash. upload.base.com was actually active, but www.pbase.com was down completely.

But that's why I keep recommending Pbase to implement a status blog. It should be here in the forums anyway, only a few users read the forums - create a status blog and update it so we're kept informed, and have a link "Status" right in the top menu bar next to Galleries, Forum, Search etc.

best regards,

Flemming Bo
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

jenga

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm

It's not difficult is it? They don't even have to communicate with us - just update a status thread which will take all of thirty seconds whenever there's a problem. We've been asking and asking for years now and not had any response on this. It's really shoddy management.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News PBase Updates