Board index PBase News New Forum

News

New Forum

erichmangl

Re: New Forum

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:57 am

dang wrote:I'd personally rather not see their posts at all.

would be better to make foe-postings gray text on gray background - not red to stick them out more than necessary

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I think not showing the topic at all seems a little extreme. Maybe I'll give a choice between erich's new gray on gray idea and completely don't show the threads. Given that choice, would you choose to not show them at all?

NoOutlet

erichmangl

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:26 pm

nooutlet wrote:I think not showing the topic at all seems a little extreme. Maybe I'll give a choice between erich's new gray on gray idea and completely don't show the threads. Given that choice, would you choose to not show them at all?

NoOutlet

would be great to walk through the forum without seeing threads started by someone in foe-list

dang

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Can't help but chuckle to think what the forum pages look like to anyone who has me on their list. I'm not sure gray on gray is really much different than removing them from view entirely, but either would be better than red, I feel. Maybe if just the font colors were changed to match the page (or muted color) rather than the entire width of the page having the color change?

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Against my better judgment, I've made all threads started by foes disappear. To me this represents a major drop in potential communication and that likely means a loss of potential resolution. It's no secret that those wishing to have foe-threads invisible are for the most part sick of the phrase "Street Photography". I just have to wonder if foe-threads were still accessible, would there be a chance that one or both parties change their perspective(literally and figuratively) to be more accepting or acceptable with regards to the other.

The foes/friends feature isn't very popular. There are still only 89 sets of [user - friend/foe]. 50 of them are by a single user and 9 of them are tests by me.

erichmangl

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 pm

nooutlet wrote:Against my better judgment, I've made all threads started by foes disappear. To me this represents a major drop in potential communication and that likely means a loss of potential resolution. It's no secret that those wishing to have foe-threads invisible are for the most part sick of the phrase "Street Photography". I just have to wonder if foe-threads were still accessible, would there be a chance that one or both parties change their perspective(literally and figuratively) to be more accepting or acceptable with regards to the other.

The foes/friends feature isn't very popular. There are still only 89 sets of [user - friend/foe]. 50 of them are by a single user and 9 of them are tests by me.

perfect work, thanks a lot

dang

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:21 pm

nooutlet wrote:Against my better judgment, I've made all threads started by foes disappear. To me this represents a major drop in potential communication and that likely means a loss of potential resolution. It's no secret that those wishing to have foe-threads invisible are for the most part sick of the phrase "Street Photography". I just have to wonder if foe-threads were still accessible, would there be a chance that one or both parties change their perspective(literally and figuratively) to be more accepting or acceptable with regards to the other.

What else can I say, I much prefer this to the color banding. As far as being accepting, I tried my best to communicate before adding anyone to my list. The result was being swamped with abusive "guest" comments, and the occasional mail for a time. This, of course, forced me to turn off guest comments on my site. For obvious reasons, there's little reason discussing how crippling that can be. Since we can now black list, and remove threads... it solves the problem fairly well.

Other sites allow users to black list IP's from contact, which I felt was an even better solution. I know it's a bit off subject, but the current blacklist would be better served via an IP List, rather than using bandwidth displaying photos. With IP's viewable within comments to site owners, even guests IP's could be included. This should cut down repeated spam, making the entire site run smoother over time, while helping a bit with growing pains.

Just thinking ahead...

rm2

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Very good as it is now. Thank You

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 pm

When we moved to the new forum, we lost a button that appeared below posts. The button served as a link directly to the index gallery of the poster. Some of you have links to your gallery in your signature, but I don't know if you all added that as a response to losing the button or if that's the way it was before.

The news is that the button will be back. I'm doing a little touching up and waiting for permission for use of an image.
Do you all have a preference for placement? Below the username, should it be first, after PM(private message), after E-mail, after Website, etc?

shawnkraus

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks Nooutlet,
I would like to see it under the name, but it really doesn't matter to me where it gets placed.
--Shawn

akmc_in_au

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:47 am

nooutlet wrote:When we moved to the new forum, we lost a button that appeared below posts. The button served as a link directly to the index gallery of the poster. {Snip}
The news is that the button will be back. I'm doing a little touching up and waiting for permission for use of an image.
Do you all have a preference for placement? Below the username, should it be first, after PM(private message), after E-mail, after Website, etc?

I'm not strongly committed either, but like Shawn I think that after the name makes sense since the name itself links you to the poster's profile page.

Though there's another option to consider (and again this isn't something that I'm strongly committed to, just throwing out for comment); would it be more useful for the button to link to the Recently Updated page rather than the All Galleries page? A lot of the forumers are regulars, and while they may have seen other posters' gallery pages before, they may be apt to be more interested in what's new. I can't speak for anyone else but with a lot of my favourites the "Recent" link gets a more frequent workout than any other.

prinothcat

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:56 am

akmc_in_au wrote:Though there's another option to consider (and again this isn't something that I'm strongly committed to, just throwing out for comment); would it be more useful for the button to link to the Recently Updated page rather than the All Galleries page? A lot of the forumers are regulars, and while they may have seen other posters' gallery pages before, they may be apt to be more interested in what's new. I can't speak for anyone else but with a lot of my favourites the "Recent" link gets a more frequent workout than any other.

I kind of like this idea, it makes a lot of sense given the way I organize my galleries. I tend to have a small number of general categories, and add new material to them as I see fit, instead of adding new galleries at root each time I upload. Therefore simply pointing to my root galleries will not lead to anything new most of the time. I know this is probably an odd way of organizing things, but it makes sense in my mind.... Like the others I like the idea, but have no strong feelings one way or the other. I'm basically content that I can easily upload images and have them present in an uncluttered way. That way my family most of whom do not live nearby and friends are able to see what going on in my world.

Previous

Board index PBase News New Forum