Board index PBase News PBase is faster now.

News

PBase is faster now.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

PBase is faster now.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 am

We're very sorry about the recent performance problems. Things are running smoothly now and we can get back to improving the software.
There was a combination of sporadically failing hardware that caused difficulty isolating the problem.
In the process, we've replaced/upgraded network switches and load balancers.
Also, we've made a lot of improvements to our system monitoring software which helps us detect most problems before they happen.
I apologize for my lack of progress reporting which unfortunately spawns many wild theories.

Chuck Neel
slug@pbase.com

dougj

Re: PBase is faster now.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:37 am

Hey Slug - Thanks for the update and resolving the problem! Please visit the forums from time to time as it's great hearing directly from you.

djwixx

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:16 am

dougj wrote:Hey Slug - Thanks for the update and resolving the problem! Please visit the forums from time to time as it's great hearing directly from you.

I second Doug. Some feedback would have greatly tempered the frustrations of many members. It's great to know everyone can get back to enjoying Pbase.

madlights

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:13 am

Thanks Slug...although I work in another field I've found sporadic problems are always the most difficult to find and resolve...especially if caused by more than one thing interacting (which is sometimes why it's sporadic :) Thanks again for the update.

halesr

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 am

Thanks so much for the update.--Rene

flemmingbo

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:18 am

Thanks so much for the update Slug and for your work - Pbase does presently seem to be much healthier and running much better for the past 3-4 days than it has for the past 6 months.

You're right that no word from Pbase results in a lot of frustration vented on the forums and some wild theories. So again; can we suggest a Status blog to you. I've received some emails from Jehan and Kathy on the subject when I've asked the past few months, but you could just as well post these on a status blog for everyone to see.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Flemming Bo
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

cassiar

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 am

Many thanks to let us know what's going on after many months of wild speculations. Yes, a status page would definitely prevent many unnecessary e-mails and topics here.

michaelsv

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Yep. It looks better now. Thanks for update, I just wish we could have this information available in a last couple of weeks, less disappointment would happen.

Michael.

tvw

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks for giving us a status update, this is much appreciated.
It's much better now. Hopefully this speed will be the new standard and things will go faster in the future (and not slower).

Please keep it contact with your customers, it would be a shame if people leave Pbase for this kind of non communication.

artguer

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks Slug for the hard work. Hope it stays this way.
Arto

mikelong

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Took two minutes to log in today

matsk

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Hej Slug,
Glad PBase is up and running again, but the absence of comments from administration has been frustrating.
I and many with me has started a second site as a fall back and if this type of situation would come back
most of us will leave. Better to tell that you have problems even if you don't have the remedy immediately.

Regards
Mats

digitalgee

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:43 am

Isn't any faster for me. When I log onto PBase, I can go pour a cup of coffee and, if I'm lucky, when I get back to the computer I'll be logged on. It's been this way for months and it is still this way for me. And, as has been reported by so many others, I can log onto almost any other site on the net in nanoseconds. Only PBase is like this. All I can say is it hasn't improved at all as far as I can tell. I've nearly stopped posting and rarely if ever comment any more, because to comment on twenty or thirty pictures (like I used to) would take the better part of an hour or two.

andrys

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:53 am

Slug, good to see your customer update-note here.

Statcounter reported that Wednesday's audience doubled, back to where it was before the slowness starting
almost 2 months ago. Great to see, and also nice not to have to wait eons for pics, knowing visitors were
experiencing that (as statcounter showed too).

Don't know if it's my imagination, but Profile came up faster today and it seemed stats wasn't run
until we clicked to get them, which is something I hoped for.

Don't be a stranger :-)

tvw

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:40 am

Today Pbase isn't as fast as the last 2 days. :(
Hopefully the speed will improve, and don't go slow again.

Next

Board index PBase News PBase is faster now.