News

new feature: Password Protected Galleries

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

new feature: Password Protected Galleries

Post Sun May 09, 2004 4:13 am

You asked for it, and here it is!

We have added the password protection feature to PBase.
You will find the password protection tools on your gallery edit pages just above the Update Gallery button.

Adding a password to a gallery is very simple. Just edit the gallery, type in the password you want to use, and click the Update Gallery button.

If you want to get a little more advanced, you can give access to specific groups of PBase users, identified by their usernames. You can find out how to do this on the help pages.

Check out the <a href="http://www.pbase.com/help/password_protection">Password Protection Help Page</a> for more information and a nice example at the bottom of the page.

Enjoy!

-Emily

vhansen

Post Sun May 09, 2004 4:29 am

Thank you, for another great feature!

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun May 09, 2004 4:39 am

thanks to Emily for working non-stop on password protection the last couple of weeks.

mostly implemented, but not online yet will be upload and edit permissions to extend the capabilities of this access control system.

you'll be able to assign an upload permission to a passkey and allow certain people to upload to a particular gallery.
useful for collaborative galleries so there will be no more need to give out the account password to everyone.
the edit permission will allow others to edit all parts of a gallery in addition to uploading.

if all goes as planned we'll have these extensions completed this month.

-slug

ilanphoto

Post Sun May 09, 2004 7:55 am

Great work guys

Don't think I will ever use it but it is a very impressive solution to the problem

What's next on your agenda?

arjunrc

Did some initial tests

Post Sun May 09, 2004 1:34 pm

Hello,
Thanks for introducing this feature. I liked the well thought out design.

Some minor inputs:

a) When I click on 'edit gallery' and then decide to password protect a gallery and then decide to create a new usergroup and/or passphrase, it takes me to the new passphrase page. On completing that, it stays put in the passphrase page with no option of me going back to the gallery which I wanted protected in the first place. I _can_ use the browser back button, but with pages concerning password, it does not feel 'right' (especially since after going back, I need to 'reload' the page to see the new entry created). Ofcourse, I understand, if you created the groups before, this would not be an issue, but I suspect many users will start with a gallery page trying to protect it rather than neatly creating all groups and then coming to galleries for association.

b) Looks like your 'password protected' lock image uses a white background. It would be nice to allow an option for the user to specify his own lock image (even if it was one global image for all galleries). That way one can ensure there are no color scheme matching issues (and you know how sensitive users are to that - remember the lavender menu issue ;-) )

Again, thanks for the very useful feature
regds
arjun

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Did some initial tests

Post Sun May 09, 2004 1:46 pm

arjunrc wrote:Hello,
Some minor inputs:

a. good point. a better way of getting back to the gallery would be good.
It is possible to avoid the passkey page altogether though if you just enter a password on the gallery edit page. it will automatically create a passkey with the name of the current gallery.

b. good idea. i was unsure if there should even be a lock image at all or if it should just be text. choosing your own would be best. a .gif with transparency might be good too.

if i had been thinking we would have made a special lavendar lock image especially for your galleries, arjunrc. sorry :)

-slug

arjunrc

Re: Did some initial tests

Post Sun May 09, 2004 3:00 pm

slug wrote:b. good idea. i was unsure if there should even be a lock image at all or if it should just be text. choosing your own would be best. a .gif with transparency might be good too.

I am not sure, but don't GIF patent issues affect your site too ?
In any case, I think a generic 'choose your own image' would take
the headache off you completely and let the users worry about color matching et. al.

slug wrote:if i had been thinking we would have made a special lavendar lock image especially for your galleries, arjunrc. sorry :)

*Shudder* ;-) BTW, did you notice my latest stylesheets actually use lavender extensively for a:hover as well as comments ? Ive begun appreciating that color !

anon

Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:13 am

I followed the instructions and the damn thing doesn't work. type in password, hit update button and then logoff to see that the password page come up. when i type in the right password, it doesn't let me in. what's up? seems like p stands for problems.

chakalaka_rider

Post Mon May 10, 2004 6:01 am

anon wrote:I followed the instructions and the damn thing doesn't work. type in password, hit update button and then logoff to see that the password page come up. when i type in the right password, it doesn't let me in. what's up? seems like p stands for problems.

Enable your cookies?
More pointless posts by Eric.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon May 10, 2004 6:13 am

if you tell us your username, the gallery and any messages that might have displayed when it wouldn't let you in, we can probably figure this out.
-slug

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon May 10, 2004 6:47 am

ok. i found your gallery and was able to login to it just fine.
your password is just a single lowercase letter.

so if you're sure you had entered the correct password then it's probably a cookie problem. it might have something to do with the fact that you were logged into two different accounts.

try going to http://www.pbase.com/logout again and then go to your gallery. if it still doesn't work, clearing your browser's cookies for pbase.com will most likely fix things up.

-slug

srijith

Re: new feature: Password Protected Galleries

Post Mon May 10, 2004 12:35 pm

emily wrote:You asked for it, and here it is!

We have added the password protection feature to PBase.
You will find the password protection tools on your gallery edit pages just above the Update Gallery button.

-Emily

Thanks a lot Emily and slug and the rest of pbase! I guess that should satisfy a lot of people!

Pbase just got better!

jackcnd

Force password reentry?

Post Mon May 10, 2004 5:05 pm

The password once entered seems to stay on the PC?

If someone enters the password now on a public access PC, then from then on, everyone can access it.

Any way to turn that off so it has to be entered everytime?

lord_of_the_badgers

Re: Force password reentry?

Post Tue May 11, 2004 4:48 pm

jackcnd wrote:The password once entered seems to stay on the PC?

If someone enters the password now on a public access PC, then from then on, everyone can access it.

Any way to turn that off so it has to be entered everytime?

i've noticed that if the PC has cached the page from your own login, it can remember things as they were unless you refresh. Still i imagine it would be unusual for this to be an issue

rawleygal

Hot Linking

Post Wed May 12, 2004 1:09 am

Can you still Hotlink a photo on a message board that is in a password protected gallery? I had a photo in a gallery I gave a passkey to and when I tried to post it just now it came up with a box and the red X.

Next

Board index PBase News new feature: Password Protected Galleries